• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

Are XUD7TD and XUD9TD Diesel Pumps Interchangeable?

Gohn

I tried posting this yesterday but it didn't come up so apologies for any repeat

my XUD7Turbo Diesel has a Lucas pump as did all the 205 TD's

But a lot of other PSA models like 306, 405, etc came with both Lucas or Bosch

I am considering getting a Bosch pump from a 306TD or 405TD which are both XUD9TE and putting it on to my XUD7TE

Will this meter the diesel to the injectors/engine correctly or will the flow be greater than optimal ?

If someone has an XUD9TE with a Bosch pump could you send the pump number so I can check the different calibrations against my pump

thank you

xstian

You can decipher that by locating the Bosch p/n on your pump.

Bosch VE P/N Example: 0 460 494 001

Key to Bosch Part Number:

0= Denotes complete product
460= Product class, Distributor pump
4= Identifier for VE Injection pump
9= Plunger Diameter: 8=8mm,9=9mm,0=10mm,1=11mm,2=12mm,3=13mm & 4=14mm
4= Number of Cylinders
001= Application

I pasted the above from another website. Do a bit of googling and you can find a list of pump serial No.s and what cars they are fitted to.

I think the 1.9 pump will have a larger plunger compared to the 1.7, so will over fuel, whether this can be tuned out with more boost and adjusting the pump I'm not sure. #

Why do you want to change the pump? The Bosch are a bit stronger and easier to adjust, but not sure if there is really much improvement over the Lucas. I also believe you need to change the injector lines. A engine change from 1.7 to 1.9 would be the best improvement.

Gohn

thanks for the part number Key details xstian

will do as you suggest and "try a bit of googling" or duckduckgo-ing at least

I do like the Lucas pump, I have heard others rubbish it a little, but I think its great

have no plans to immediately change it, but the Bosch is reportedly much better from a maintenance point of view. they don't wear out if you treat them good, but the Lucas eventually needs to be rebuilt even if you are good to them.

so if I know for sure that I can use a Bosch from an XUD9TD, then I'll keep an eye out (plus the injectors and pipes)

Im not looking for more power or anything, if I was an intercooler would give me about 15% more power without the engine change

(haven't googled anything for years, I use duckduckgo.com)

xstian

I would imagine you can have your Lucas rebuilt for the price of a 2nd Bosch pump, injectors and pipes that may still need rebuilding. 

I think the Lucas get a bad reputation, because its not a Bosch. The Bosch is easier to adjust and maybe slightly more reliable, but its not like the Lucas is unreliable. An intercooler will allow you to run more boost and in turn increase the power. You can increase the boost a bit without an intecooler, but you have to be careful. There is loads of information about tuning XUD's but its all pretty old now.

There is more info for these on the 306 forum, https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

Gohn

does anyone have a Bosch pump number from an XUD9Turbo Diesel ??

cheers

xstian

460 494 370

460 494 383

Both of the above are from xud9td. The bottom one is from a Citroen Synergie, no idea about the top one. Be careful, some pumps are part ECU controlled and will not work properly in a 205. 

calvinhorse

Would the different pumps require different timing belts or do they all run the same belts? 

welshpug

same block same pulleys, same crank, just a different bore between 1769 and 1905cc, pump, injectors and lines.

• Like 1

Gohn

thanks xstian

yeah, all the XUD7 and XUD9 both NA and Turbo run the same timing belt #081658

peugeot put a little variation in the idler wheel bracket (I had to trim one sold to me that was D not TD) but they have the same bolt points

the water pump less sure, but same bolt points also with a little variation thrown in to keep you off balance

Gohn

xstian

your top number matches to a 405TD (XUD9TE)

9 hours ago, xstian said:

Be careful, some pumps are part ECU controlled and will not work properly in a 205. 

good tip on the part ECU controlled ones, I've only heard bout them in passing so will be careful

xstian

If you want to mount the Bosch pump to the Lucas mount, I think you have to modify the mount slightly. I think it just involves slotting one of the bolt holes, which is easy and can be with the mount in situ or it maybe the pump that needs the slot. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Edited by xstian

Gohn

yeah I've figured that

its just the pump bracket has two sets of holes

the set NOT being used by the Lucas pump is for the Bosch

or vice versa

its just double nut and remove the bolts on the timing end of the pump bracket

screw them into the other set of holes

put pump on

but I got a spare pump bracket set up for a Bosch pump (off a car that was run into the ground and everything else was picked off before I could get there)

so if I ever do the change to Bosch, I can just use it instead of rejigging my current bracket