• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Greengti1

Starts and stalls

Greengti1

Evening all,

I am hoping someone might be able to assist before I go mad...

I have an 205 gti turbo I purchased as a project maybe 3 years ago. Last year with lockdown I started looking at it the problem was it would not idle.

the car will fire right up, Rev to 2k then the revs will very slowly drop and usually stall but occasionally stumble and surge for a few seconds and then stall..

I have spent countless hours on this and other forums searching for answers, so far I have:

- put fresh fuel in it.

- checked the injectors

-checked the spark

- traced wires and relays from the ecu to the coil and checked cleaned the  connectors 

- changed the water temp sensor (lots about this on the forum!)

- changed the TPS

- changed the SAD

- checked for air leaks

-made sure there are bolts in all the inlet manifold holes.

- adjusted the idle screw.

i have not done anything with the AFM, to be honest I would not know what to do with it.

I have read a thread when a guy with the same issue sounded like he dismantled his entire car and never fixed it.... don’t want to end up like that guy!

help, thought would be very much appreciated.

many thanks Adam

DamirGTI

Is that turbo conversion made on 1.9 engine , or factory made 2.0 turbo engine from an XM/Xantia/406/605/806.. ?

D

Greengti1

Hi

its a 1.9 205 gti engine. 

thanks

DamirGTI

So not a turbo ? just a std. 1.9 engine on Jetronic management ?

Have you been driving it at all or you've bought it with this problem ?

If it was left standing with no use for longer period , the fuel pump might've "gone sour" .. doing fuel pressure test would be good .

Either starving for fuel or air as it seems .. spark possibly as well .

Try adjusting the TB like so :

- turn the throttle stop screw out so that it's off the throttle leaver , then wound it back in until it barely touches the throttle leaver (can use feeler gauge to spot the contacting point) when it does wound it 4 full turns in and stop . Reset/re-adjust the TPS switch after you've done this .

- open up the big brass air bypass screw say 1 and a 1/2 a turn or 2 full turns (again from fully in out counting ..) .. this one you'll need to set afterwards more precisely once the engine is up and running heated up on the operating temp (with some load ON as well .. like lights ..) .

- check that the throttle cable isn't too loose nor too tight .

.. additionaly :

- allen screw on the AFM , turn it fully in till it bottoms down then back out counting 7-to-8 turns and stop .

And try to start it up like so .. see what happens .

If still no good , try to advance the ignition timing a little bit .. mark position , loosen the dizzy and swing it clockwise say 2-3mm's .

D

Greengti1

Sorry a 1.9 engine that someone has added a turbo to with the old 5th injector.

thanks for your thoughts I will try some more troubleshooting.

I think I have seen that thread, exactly the misery I want to avoid!  Not sure it will be my fuel pump, it revs well but just won’t idle.

thanks again for the thoughts and help.

any other thoughts welcome.

PhilNW

How long does it run for before it stalls/stops?

Greengti1

Hi all, 

thanks very much for the responses.  I managed to get some time on it yesterday.

Looking at the settings from D the previous owner had tried to get over the problem by adjusting everything!  The throttle stop was all the way out, the tick over was all the way in etc. I also found a split pipe from the SAD to the inlet manifold.

after changing the pipe and putting the settings as instructed she starts and ticks over as well as any 205!

thanks again for your help.

cheers

Adam 

PhilNW

Well done