• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wildejon

Burning smell - help me to solve it?

wildejon

Hi all,

The last time I drove, the car smelled quite badly of burning and now I'm trying to figure out what it was.

The oil has gone pretty dark, it was clear before the drive. (Video here, sorry it's so shaky).

I didn't check much so far, the plugs look like it's maybe a tad rich, the arm is black on the last couple (images attached incase I'm wrong). They've done 500 miles or so.

The MAF tested OK for temp (room temp) and voltage/position.

Any idea what might be the cause and what I could try next?

Thanks!

312542071_ImagefromiOS(2).thumb.jpg.5fc493a7b28acbe3557e9e73ab781ae3.jpg1131663645_ImagefromiOS(3).thumb.jpg.dcc4b586638ab7cf86907d16a1b7032c.jpg258524576_ImagefromiOS.thumb.jpg.b584e1a4c10fff9e2fa863ad3a55aee4.jpg745972680_ImagefromiOS(1).thumb.jpg.18adca69cfef476affe894ebb6500ee0.jpg

Image from iOS (2).jpg

DamirGTI

Burning smell of what kind ?

Exhaust smoke present ?

Plugs look kinda normal .. possibly a little bit on the lean side rather than rich .

D

wildejon

That a good question and I’m not sure I can give a good answer.

It didn’t smell like burning fuel, maybe oil but I’m not sure. We thought something was on fire but all looked fine.

I didn’t notice any exhaust smoke at all,

no. 

wildejon

To update, this was a jammed blower fan and the burning smell was the motor burning out... sorted ;)