• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

Dim Dip Resistor mounting position and heat?

ATK

Hi All

Wired in a new dim dip resistor this week, the dim dip has never worked since I had the car!

Couple of questions - it gets rather hot - might be a stupid question but is this normal?

Also - mounting position - I've seen a photo where it is mounted below the indicator - but my headlamp panel doesn't have this hole for the clip to attach to? Anyone know where is it supposed to be mounted? Phase 2 car btw.

welshpug

should be on the headlamp panel below the left hand headlamp

ATK
24 minutes ago, welshpug said:

should be on the headlamp panel below the left hand headlamp

Is this correct as theres no hole in my headlamp panel where this is resistor is on this pic

139569-headlight-dimdip-resistor

011B14F8-5E34-43CB-9314-9A50CE23F0CF.png

Gohn

what's does that dim dip resistor do ?

I've got park lights, low beam and high beam. am I missing something that I should have ?

(i was sent one as part of a Mardi Gras D wire loom a few years ago and had no idea what it was until I recognised it just now . it looked like something out of doctor who so its sat in a box since)

ATK

Dim dip makes 6% ish of the dipped beams come on with the s*itty 5w sidelights basically, i think. Stops people driving about on 5w sidelights

stewal

As far as I remember dim dips were only fitted for a year or two in the early 90's: the resistor gets alarmingly hot which probably explains why they burn out frequently.

luckily if the resistor fails everything lighting wise works as normal so it is usually forgotten.

Tom Fenton

The resistor does get hot yes. Don't bother mounting it with a cable tie it will soon melt it. A metal clip is what Peugeot used but with an ally rivet which usually rots off.

Gohn

so with a dim/dip resistor its a bit like driving around with very low beams on ?

looks pretty neat

are you rigging that up to keep it original type thing or is it just better than driving around with normal headlights/low beam on  ? (which is all I do day and night)

ATK

Used a c clip (like a tool clip with a traingle on the back which pushes into the mounting hole) and mounted it on spare hole on the headlamp panel further down than the location in the pic abve,  good point on the cable tie Tom, they get very hot and a cable tie would melt it instantly. 

installed it for originality and to see what it was all about really!

headlamp panels were suprisingly great condition for original panels on 189k miles!

definately better on low beams though as the 5 watts are very dim!

Gohn

hey also, at the risk of goin off topic,

what the 'eck is that little black thing bolted to the front of the RF strut tower is ??

see them sometimes on various models (some do some dont have em) but never known what it is

maybe its a peugeot polariser !

(a legendary 1980's V8 race driver in Australia called Peter Brock promoted this thing called a Polariser which he claimed gave a car more power from the universe but was unable to explain how. it was a few of rocks in a box which he strategically positioned in the engine bay)

?.png

DamirGTI

It's a warp button from the star ship Enterprise ! :P

Looks like inertia switch for the fuel cut off , is it connected ?

Never seen one factory fit on a 205 , 106's though did have them ...

D

DamirGTI
32 minutes ago, Gohn said:

(a legendary 1980's V8 race driver in Australia called Peter Brock promoted this thing called a Polariser which he claimed gave a car more power from the universe but was unable to explain how. it was a few of rocks in a box which he strategically positioned in the engine bay)

Without the doubt he must've been greatly misunderstood genius , crying shame no one seen potential in his visions and inventions ! 

Or is it really ? someone stolen his ideas and blueprints :

https://www.ipfonline.com/auto-components-engine-parts-supplier/polariser-381-price

https://www.amazon.com/Glumes-Magnetic-Economizer-Emission-Vehicles/dp/B07H4R1XJF

:lol: ...

Edited by DamirGTI

Gohn

yeah, those links look like the same type of thing, (a scam) only to be fair to Brocky, he did actually believe that a few rocks in a box would improve the cars performance (which is only marginally better than selling something you know doesn't work)

anyhow, the little black thing is not on my car, so I don't know if its connected or not

got the picture from a car advertised on ebay

look, here's a couple more below. they must be connected to something

52 minutes ago, DamirGTI said:

Looks like inertia switch for the fuel cut off

does that shut off the fuel in case of a sudden impact or something ? a kind of crash safety device ?

??.png

???.png

DamirGTI

Yes for sure that's the inertia switch or "shock switch" .. correct , safety device for fuel cut off in the event of very sharp de-acceleration/collision aka high g. force  . 

It's a "ball type" switch , because of it's design sometimes it can activate after driving over a big pothole or generally speaking while driving on a rough paved road or off road  .. if that ever happens , or if there's some unusual fault with the lack of fuel supply , the switch needs to be reset .. simply press on it to reset it .

But , never seen one factory fit on a 205 ?!? and that does look like factory fitted item .

Possibly mandatory by the law for AUS market cars ?

D

Gohn

ah good one damir,

right and way off topic now but..

those pics are all of UK cars, all diesel models, noticed em cause I buy parts there

there's plenty of them and they've always looked factory fitted to me

they've even got their own little spot welded bracket

never seen one on a 205 here, we didn't get them, but I like em

how does it all work, the gshock thing sends an electrical signal to a little shut off valve on the diesel feed line ?

(I ask cause Im wondering if I could somehow use one as an anti theft device)

welshpug

never seen one on an uk 205, must be a very very late spec thing.

its just inline with the fuel pump feed on a petrol engine, or the stop solenoid on a diesel, very basic and very very annoying!

wouldn't be any good as theft prevention

Edited by welshpug

DamirGTI

Late 90's cars had them mostly , i remember from time to time some of those ended up on the back of the tow truck as an "no start" , just because the switch activated for some other reason but it's prime intention .

I imagine some (dishonest) mechanics very much liked them ! as one might've easily charged few hours of work (which obviously never happened) for just a 5min. job of resting the switch and off you go . 

Was kinda unreliable device as such , as when the ball inside the switch dislodges it activates the circuit , and that sometimes happened for various other reasons .. and i believe was the reason for stop using/fitting it on cars from somewhere year 2000 up until today .

D

Gohn
8 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Late 90's cars had them mostly

yeah all the ones I've seen have been on 1994, 1995 and 1996 model diesels , both D and TD (I dont look at the petrol ones much - no offence chaps)

the ones up to 1993 didn't have them, but I didn't know it was related to the year model until you guys said

16 hours ago, welshpug said:

very basic and very very annoying!

8 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

those ended up on the back of the tow truck as an "no start" , just because the switch activated for some other reason but it's prime intention

sounds more and more like the fabled Peter Brock polariser, but probably a bit worse. at least the Brocky crystals didn't sabotage your car

thanks for the knowledge about an uncommon odd late model annoying carstopping gadget

think I'll look elsewhere for an anti-theft device, some little MANUAL tap that can't trip any old time !