• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

Driving Lamps not turning back off?

ATK

So, my driving lamps come on correctly with the main beams. Can hear relay clicking on too. 

but they won’t turn off and stay on, until you turn the lights completely off then back on again. The relay (type 23) also does not “click” off, even though it clicks on correctly.

earths are all good.

any ideas? Could a Faulty stalk or faulty relay be the culprit?

ATK

Quiet round here these days folks!

ordered a new stalk and relay, fingers crossed!

stewal

You would have been better off in the technical section but I reckon you are right in the 2 possibilities.

I had a similar problem with the stalk but I would swap the relay over first as its so easy before diving into stalk replacement.

KevinMcNally

I have exact same problem and replaced the relay yesterday, it made no difference.

ATK

Can a mod move the topic to Techincal please? Apologies :)

New stalk on order as the “latching” for high beams has never been the best (pattern part £20, as opposed to £600 Pug genuine one on ebay...wtf!!)

relay is a “type 23” whats the modern day equivalent?

DamirGTI

It's standard 12v 4 pin relay , nothing "fancy" ..

Probably bad light stalk , in the engine bay see if you have unused (non connected) yellow 2pin connector tucked away around washer fluid reservoir or near the LH headlight .. as one end should go from the fusebox and terminate around washer bottle , and another is directly from the driving lamps , so one male and one female 2pin yellow connector and these when connected together make the driving lamps lit on via fog lamp switch so like actual fog lamps .

If you have that kind of wiring try to connect driving lamps like so , and activate them via fog lamp switch for the test to isolate light stalk and possibly wiring .. and see what happens .

Tom Fenton

I have had this before, when I fitted LED bulbs to the headlights. Not sure the reasons why, but putting standard halogen H4 bulbs back and the problem went away. Something to do with the lower current the LED's were drawing was all I could come up with.

ATK

Well, its not the relay!

Changed the relay no difference. I can hear the main beams clicking on and off but no sound from the far left relay in the glovebox, despite changing relay.

bulbs are the same ones thay I’ve ran for years so don’t think it’s them.

must be the stalk I guess?

only other thing is that I wired up a new h4 socket to the headlamps. But theres only three wires, earth and two others, even if these were not in correct order this wouldnt affect it would it?

ATK

This is interesting - my battery got low when fiddling about and when battery was about to conk out, i could turn the driving lamps on and off with the stalk. The plot thickens!

ATK

OK, this is strange.

So far I have:

- Changed headlight bulbs and driving lamp bulbs to standard bulbs in case the Osram ones were causing issue.

- Changed relay to a new one.

- Changed headlight stalk to a new one.

- Tried disconnecting headlights - no difference.

Despite this, the driving lamps are still not clicking back off on the stalk.

The driving lamps will go on and off correctly when you flash the high beams.

The driving lamps will not go off when the high beams are turned on. To turn the driving lamps off you have to turn the lights off completely. The relay is clicking on, but not off in this situation.

The only thing I have done of late (which might be a coincidence, might not) is that I wired in a new H4 connector as the old connector was broken on the back of the headlight. Cant see how this would affect it though as the lights are all working aside from the bloody driving lamps are not shutting off!

Completely at a loss to be honest! Any one have any ideas?!?!?!

welshpug

check you have that plug wiring arranged correctly!

ATK
6 minutes ago, welshpug said:

check you have that plug wiring arranged correctly!

The wiring to the h4 connector? Whats the correct layout? Would that affect this? 

the wires coming from the loom are red, grey and yellow so which order should they be connected on the h4 plug?

Edited by ATK

ATK

Meirion - you were correct! Had the low and high beam wires wrong way around on the h4 connector! What a dummy!

welshpug

nice to hear it was something relatively simple in the end!      having all the story helps massively.

ATK

Yep, nice and easy, kicking myself for the silly mistake! Nevermind all good fun!