• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pp205

1.9 Mi16 won’t idle

pp205

Hi all, looking for some advice please. My Mi16 engine in my 205 has started to play up and will not idle. When I start it I have to keep blipping the throttle so it doesn’t stall. It drives fine but whenever I have to slow down or stop it will just cut out and won’t idle whether it’s hot or cold. I haven’t changed anything at all recently, this problem just seems to have appeared in the last month or so. The ICV is new (well about a year old but I don’t drive it that much, maybe twice a week) and is a genuine Bosch item. Any advice is very welcome!

Simon

Tom Fenton

Check the throttle switch is working properly, this tells the ECU to go into idle condition and control the speed with the valve.

pp205

Thanks for the reply Tom. Now assume I’m fairly clueless, which I am, are you talking about the throttle position sensor when you say throttle switch?

Thanks

Simon

petert

The TPS is in fact just a switch (two actually), not a potentiometer, which detects the following situations:

Idle (switch closed)

Mid throttle (neither switch closed)

Wide open throttle (other switch closed)

The WOT switch rarely wears out, but the idle switch does. Thus if the ecu isn't getting the message that the TPS is closed, it gets confused. It's easy enough to check with a multimeter.

welshpug

same part as the 8v from memory, test from middle pin to one of the outer pins for each switch.

pp205

That’s great thanks Peter and WP. I have a feeling I have a brand new one somewhere so can replace if the current one is gone. Thanks again,

Simon

pp205

Just wanted to ask a further question on this. I haven’t had chance to test my old TPS yet as I’ve been so busy at work and the weather has been awful. But assuming that the old TPS isn’t working and I need to install the new one that I have, how do I install and adjust it? As I’m sure that I have read that you can’t just plug it in and go? Again please excuse my lack of knowledge, any help is appreciated!

Simon 

Ryan

Really easy to do. You can just plug it in and adjust the position - you need it to click just as the throttle starts to move.

• Like 1

pp205

Brilliant thanks Ryan