• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

LimouxGTI

Replacing my headlights for LHD units

LimouxGTI

Hello folks,

I have recently relocated to France and need to change my RHD headlights to LHD to get through the CT test (MOT). My car is a 1990 phase 2 1.6 and I have found these Valeo units online - https://m.auto-doc.fr/valeo/1063228

Can anyone advise if these will be a straight swap or if I need anything additional for replacing?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Gohn

As far as I know all 205's from the first to last produced take the 'same' headlights

By that I mean the same in terms of fixings and shape, power etc

Those cars produced for countries that drive on the left get the RHD headlights and vice versa

The only difference in the RHD or LHD units are the lenses which focus the beam to a slightly different point appropriate to the location of oncoming traffic/drivers position. And its pretty difficult to tell from looking at them on a car which you have.

One of the numbers on the front of the glass denotes which is which, but I don't know what it is. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in here

So anyway, if those units are LHD they'll be a straight swap, nothing else required, all fixings same. unplug/remove RHD units, plugin/insert LHD units.

And ahem, I'll admit to a little ulterior motive here, if your old RHD units are surplus and in good condition, I'm in the market for a decent set..

LimouxGTI

Thanks for the detailed reply Goan.  I will go ahead and order them.  

Yes, the RHD units will be available however not sure if duties from France to UK will make shipping uneconomical but I can certainly check for you.  

Thanks again.

Richard

SRDT

If you find new old stock units check that they take H4 lamps and not R2.

You can find R2/H4 adapters but I don't know if that make the headlights as good as real H4.

LimouxGTI

Thanks for the tip. Yes, had worked out the H4 bit. Now to find somewhere that sells the bloomin things!

Everywhere I look the Valeo ones are out of stock.  There seems to be plenty availability of the cheaper items - does anybody have experience with these, is there one brand better that the other etc.  I’m generally a believer in ‘you get what you pay for’ but if I can’t find Valeo/Marchal units it looks like I’ll have no choice! :rolleyes:

cheers

bacardincoke

Still being in th EU will presumably help with your choices... Couple of random ones pulled from a quick search so I didn't go into any detal and they may or may not be what you're after.

I'm guessing these are LHD being Italian, but obviously check first.

I'd also get onto eBay.es and .de to widen your search further... seems to be a few NOS about and plenty of used.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/PEUGEOT-205-FARO-FANALE-DESTRO-6205-34-H4/203223668756?hash=item2f51131814:g:Q4YAAOSw7XFf3dYE

https://www.ebay.it/itm/PEUGEOT-205-FARO-FANALE-SINISTRO-6204-34-H4/203215593661?hash=item2f5097e0bd:g:C1YAAOSwPktf3dQk

LimouxGTI

Thanks for the links. They look like exactly what I want (new old stock) but he’s quoting €200 delivery (each side!!) to France from Italy. I have sent him a note to see if he can offer a reasonable delivery quote. Cheers

DamirGTI

TYC makes decent copy of Valeo units .. I've one set of TYC's for quite a while and no complains , coupled with an pair of stronger/better quality H4 bulbs breaks darkness nicely ... better than some modern stuff with crappy plastic projector lights which illuminate road candle like .

D

LimouxGTI

Thanks for the info Damir

Gohn

I've tried the DEPO branded headlights, (before I knew there was a difference in quality) and the silver flaked off from the reflector in no time

pretty rubbish really, lesson learned so I'd avoid them

LimouxGTI

Thanks Gohn. Looks like I’ve found a set of Lucas units on eBay - would expect them to be good quality given the brand.  He confirmed he also does RHD units so can give you his details if you like (as might hold on to my originals in case I ever sell the car back into UK. Cheers

DamirGTI

Lucas is TYC .. Denji , Lucas , TYC - all the same , i.e. made by TYC .

D

LimouxGTI

I see! Yes I’ve just discovered that and cancelled the order. :rolleyes: