• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Kane

Evening all,

Has anyone on here done any development with the PSA V6 and if so are there any major pitfalls with the engine platform? As standard they seem to be pretty robust but are there many known hurdles to overcome when tuning? How does it compare to say the similarly priced Duratec 30 (AJ-V6)? 

I’ve found a twin turbocharged LMP car (Courage C52) that used the engine around the late 90’s / early noughties but other than the increase in capacity to 3.2L I can’t find any info of what original was left. 

Any info would be appreciated 

SRDT

The 3.2 is also the engine used by the 208 T16 Pikes Peak. Renault had a 254 hp L7X-762 inside the Clio V6 mk2, that's the most powerfull real street engine.

As for the most powerfull technically street engine... after the end of the PRV V6 Venturi had no choice but to use the new ES9J4 on the 300 Atlantique, with a pair of aerochargers turbos from Aerodyne Dallas the 300 had, at last, a bit more than 300hp.

They only made a handfull of these and using special turbos that don't need external lubrication was probably to keep the engine as stock as possible.

IMG_2213.jpg

10037.jpg10038.jpg10039.jpg

speaksgeek

I've heard rumors of people getting 5-600hp from the 3L basically stock with a couple of turbochargers.

As I understand it the cam area is notorious for leaking oil but you might be able to solve that with some Threebond 1211.

Kane

I found the pikes peak example yesterday as well but seems all but the block is different on that build also. Shows the block is a good base however if it can handle that sort of output. I’ve found some photos online which indicate that it’s a closed deck (cast iron sleeves set in the alloy block) construction but confirmation would be great. 

That Venturi is a little different. Have you any idea what gearbox they used in that car and if it was available in any other production models? 

DP Engineering have a stock example on their site (single shared turbo) noting the limits of circa 320bhp. That’s on the standard 10.4 compression ratio and 98 RON fuel so there should scope for more with a lower CR before other things start to cause problems. 

Thinking of other PSA engine troubles do these suffer from any oil control issues, valve train problems / limitations (is the VVT on the later models reliable?), cam belt and tensioner issues, anything else? 

Edit: looks like the Venturi uses a Renault UN1 gearbox. Tricky things to get hold of nowadays by the looks of it

Edited by Kane

SRDT

Yes it's a UN1 but the bellhousing is specific to this car so even if you can find one it won't be cheap. The UN1 was used on the Lotus Esprit so it's good for 350 hp and 400 N.m but not all UN1 are equal so again the right UN1 won't be cheap.

If you want a transverse ES9 you need a custom bellhousing so you should use another transaxle from Subaru or Audi.

Kane

I wonder if anyone with a V6 could do me a favour and throw a tape measure over the engine to confirm the approx width (cam pulley to gearbox mounting face)? 

Lonzo
On 1/3/2021 at 6:42 PM, Kane said:

I’ve found a twin turbocharged LMP car (Courage C52) that used the engine around the late 90’s / early noughties but other than the increase in capacity to 3.2L I can’t find any info of what original was left. 

Any info would be appreciated 

The 3.2 engine was developed and build by Sodemo racing in France. (V6C32)

They also build a natural aspirated 3.0 ES9 with 300hp for the Peugeot 406 Silhouette.

Centera
On 1/5/2021 at 6:09 PM, Kane said:

I wonder if anyone with a V6 could do me a favour and throw a tape measure over the engine to confirm the approx width (cam pulley to gearbox mounting face)? 

I have a 406 V6 and I also have a spare engine that I have dismantled last week for a rebuilt. I'm currently not at home but I can measure the engine for you later this week. Do you need any other dimensions from the engine, or just cam pully to gearbox mounting face?