• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

BE3 arm functions

boldy205

Hi, I have a BE3 box, its an Mi16 box with the appropriate arms to use on a 205.

I'm currently fitting a sachshift,  and can't seem to get the gears.

My question is: Is  the arm arrowed supposed to move both left and right? This arm seems to do the left and right on the gear stick, and I only seem to have travel to the left.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks 

Matt

20201222_090340.jpg

SRDT

Yes its goes left and right:

pfQwhIL.jpg

FSIgTp5.jpg

boldy205

Fantastic diagram,  thanks!

Any link on where thats from?

I can only get the purple arm to move one way, against a spring.

boldy205

Thanks. Just took a look at the attachment.  I seem to be missing 5th and reverse,  so I assume that's a problem with the smaller 'flat' leaver only moving one way. 

The box was working fine prior to me starting to fit the sachshift.  The kit comes with a new 'flat' leaver, which I fitted, maybe I've messed something up?

boldy205

Just had a Google.....seems a missing 5th and reverse are symptoms of dropping the selector into the box. 

My question now, is if this is what have done, I'm rather confused as to how to rectify it, as at the moment I have the selector in the correct place, with the arm located via the roll pin....hmmm

petert

Did you drop the shaft whilst changing the 405 arms to 205 arms? If so, sorry, you’ll need to pull the box apart.

boldy205
7 minutes ago, petert said:

Did you drop the shaft whilst changing the 405 arms to 205 arms? If so, sorry, you’ll need to pull the box apart.

I never let the shaft go down very far, I'd say never lower than the top of the box. I always had a bit of wire through the roll pin hole, to prevent this. How low is too low?

Like I said,  the arm in now back in the shaft with the pin locating it.

welshpug

dont need to dismantle the box, just drop the arm down far enough to move across and engage in its rightful slot and pull it back up, a strong magnet will help.

• Like 1

boldy205
25 minutes ago, welshpug said:

dont need to dismantle the box, just drop the arm down far enough to move across and engage in its rightful slot and pull it back up, a strong magnet will help.

At the moment the arm only travels towards the passenger side ( think), against a spring, this allows the gearstick to move towards the passenger side, as if to select 1st and 2nd.

So I need to drop the pin and turn it the opposite way to the direction it currently travels in?

SRDT

874055cable_00.jpg

The lever ends with a fork and should catch a disc, if the disc is inside the fork then you can push and pull.

Right now the disc must be outside de fork so you can still push it but can't pull anything.

boldy205

I'll take a look tomorrow,  see if I can move the shaft. I'll report with my findings 

Thanks for all the help so far.

calvinhorse

I’ve done exactly the same myself, as Welshpug says it can be done without taking anything other than the arm off

i poked a cable tie through the hole then fished about until you feel a positive click

clean and file the inside of the arm and the shaft so the arm slides over easier, there’s a notch around the shaft that I hold in place with a very thin screwdriver as I push the arm down 

boldy205

Thanks, Calvin. I presume I need to drop the shaft, until I can turn it in the direction that  I currently can't,  then pull it back up?

Roughly how far do I need to drop the shaft? 

Guess I can't cock it up much more than it already is!

rallyman1

Hi,not sure if this relates to my problem,,I have been rebuilding my 1.9 rallycar,which I have sussed to have a BE3 box,it had no reverse gear cable,which I have purchased and fitted,but something doesnt seem right,,it feels like you cant get into first four gears,but when you pull the cable,it is like it is letting you go over into first and second,anyone got any thoughts which would be much appreciated?

welshpug

be3 does not use a reverse detent cable, if you fit one you wont be able to select some gears, not specifically reverse.

rallyman1

Aah,thanks Pitcrew,now I am confused,that could explain why there was no cable on it when I got it,,I am sure I have identified the box as a be3,,it has the place for the cable and when you look down the hole,it looks like you can see the bevel in the shaft for it to locate??

rallyman1

Sorry,now I am scrambled,I am now thinking it was be2 I identified the box as,I will check when in workshop in the morning,,its a 1.9GTI,1986/87,the box has the one drain plug on the dif,,am I right in saying that the be3 0r is it the be4 that uses cable shift?,,thankyou

SRDT

Both BE3 and BE4 can have a cable shifter.

rallyman1

Thanks SRDT,how do you know whether it should have or not?,,thankyou

welshpug

205 never used a cable shifter.

rallyman1

Sorry Welshpug,I dont mean cable shifter,I mean the cable to open the gate to reverse?,thanks

SRDT

If it's the reverse cable then the BE1 had none before 86, those gearboxes also have two serrated levers for the gear change.

The only BE3 with a reverse cable is the six speed but it's on another place.

rallyman1

SRDT,I am certain it is a BE3 box bt it has the gear lever and the place on the box for a cable,so I bought one to fit,,I do not understand what you mean by two serated levers?,,

I thank you,your help is much appreciated,,

welshpug

its just a hole for a breather on a be3.