• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozymandis

BE3 release bearings early Vs late type

Ozymandis

I have a box of  release bearings I was going through to find Davemar a BE1 type and I remembered that very late BE3 bearings (eg 98 on partner diesel) are 2mm shorter than the earlier type, making them the same as an MA type.

Anyone know why that difference /change please?

Im thinking I may have in error  put the later type in a 205 clutch I just did. Surely the adjustment will deal with the difference?

DamirGTI

I have some dimensions if that helps .. looks like just the height seems to be different possibly cause of different pressure plate or fork spacing .

Early :

Overall height - 20.5mm

Inner dia. - 24mm

Nominal size - 34mm

Fork spacing - 61.3mm

Late :

Overall height - 18.5mm

Inner dia. - ?!? (no data)

Nominal size - 34mm

Fork spacing - ?!? (no data)

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Ozymandis

I had those measurements thats why I was wondering, the fork spacing is the same and the inner diameters the same as well, it fits straight in, the only difference is the 2mill less protrusion.

The engine and box werent in, still on the trolley, i  took the box off and tried both types, both work fine and its a very small  difference on the operating arm angle. It  moves towards the bulkhead fractonally using the shorter bearing.

I will find out if the clutch cover is different, although over the years I have definetely used later on newer and newer on later for those, with no noticeable difference either in "feel" or the service life.

I will check the operating forks too.

But now i have twisted my back and am wankered on tramadol afraid to move because of the pain.

Anthony
1 hour ago, Ozymandis said:

I will check the operating forks too.

The fork is different between the early and late BE3 setups (using yellow and white bushes respectively) - the details are in the following thread:

Ozymandis
33 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The fork is different between the early and late BE3 setups (using yellow and white bushes respectively) - the details are in the following thread:

Its not that, this is later still in the BE3`s various iterations, 98ish on I seem to remember, well after the switch to the white bush/fork in 94ish.