• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

stepples

Coolant/expansion bottle

stepples

Hi all, have searched but can not find anything so far!

Can you swap the circular white coolant bottle for the black rectangular one? Is it a straight swap?

Many thanks.

AlexRS2782

I changed from the original white tank to the later black one a few months after i bought my '91 J, GTI in 2008.  Brand new one, that came with a sensor, and It's still on the car all these years later with no issues.  i don't think any wiring changes were required, just plugged in the wiring block to the new sensor location underneath.

pug_ham

They'll fit the same but the coolant level sensor is different on the black expansion tank with three wires instead of the two on the white one.

g.

stepples

Thanks for your responses. Is it a problem with the connections being different? Will I need a different connection block or will it throw up some errors?

Thanks 

pug_ham

I'd expect some problem with the different level sensors.

In the early white bottle, it's a switch inside the sensor that puts the dash light on when it's low (when they aren't gunked up from poor servicing) where the later sensor is a probe that uses the coolant as a conductor & breaks the circuit when it drops below the prongs on the sensor.

Alex says he hasn't had any problem or changed the wiring but I'd have thought there would be some changes required.

g

B1ack_Mi16

I'm quite sure it needs rewiring to work. Quite sure the black sensors require all 3 wires in place.

I've got a defective sensor on mine (black expansion tank) so haven't been able to test it properly yet,

I just found this kind of sensors on aliexpress.com, so have ordered one now, will see if it does give me the warning light as it should when it arrives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stepples

Thanks guys, I would have thought it would be a problem if they work differently. Wonder if you can change the connectors?

pug_ham

The connector is the same but it as three wires for the later type sensor, the third wire isn't present on the earlier car wiring loom & I'm not sure if the haynes covers the different sensors.

g

AlexRS2782
On 12/1/2020 at 9:00 AM, pug_ham said:

I'd expect some problem with the different level sensors.

In the early white bottle, it's a switch inside the sensor that puts the dash light on when it's low (when they aren't gunked up from poor servicing) where the later sensor is a probe that uses the coolant as a conductor & breaks the circuit when it drops below the prongs on the sensor.

Alex says he hasn't had any problem or changed the wiring but I'd have thought there would be some changes required.

g

Thinking about it - mine's a '91 Phase 2 and looks like it would probably have had a black tank from new - although i know there might still have been some crossover from the phase 1.5's.  As i changed to a new tank / sensor shortly after buying the car i wonder whether the white tank had been dropped in as a replacement earlier in the life of the car?  Hence why i've had no issues with the sensor / connector block, etc, once the new tank went in.

Simes
On 12/1/2020 at 1:34 PM, B1ack_Mi16 said:

I'm quite sure it needs rewiring to work. Quite sure the black sensors require all 3 wires in place.

I've got a defective sensor on mine (black expansion tank) so haven't been able to test it properly yet,

I just found this kind of sensors on aliexpress.com, so have ordered one now, will see if it does give me the warning light as it should when it arrives.

Oooo link to sensor please?

Gohn

the 205 Si here came with the TU type expansion tank

its clear/white plastic, bottle shaped and orange lid

its not self levelling and not nearly as good as the GTi one (which also came on all the diesels)

I've put a white GTi exp tank on one car

and a black exp tank on another

but arr, I dont have the level sensor connected up on either

Im always checking coolant level but still, think I'll follow that link too when it comes in

stepples

Thanks for the information and advice guys. I am ripping out lots of extra wires that have been put in and were a complete mess. Whilst tidying just thinking about making a bit more room and it looking neater by having the black bottle.