• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

CTi Interior light holder and visor retainer 3D print

ALEX

So I thought I'd share my progress on this.

If anyone has a CTi with a working one of these I'd love to see what the clips for the visor look like, as I've never seen them. I'm assuming they are metal?

The side retaining clips are still fine on mine, but the plastic locators for them are split and only just hold it in place.

So I first modeled up a copy of the original part.

77271712_Interiorlightholder0.4.thumb.JPG.a871bdbb68ba00dc77ef9e5749bc9bee.JPG1636978332_Interiorlightholder0_4bot.thumb.JPG.bced1aa2f58ae16929ce8cc721bc5622.JPG

I printed it off, but it split when fitting the clips like the original design. Also I still need to source the clips for the visors.

So my second attempt (more like 6th)...

1402088655_Interiorlightholdervisormods.thumb.JPG.742284a4e34719fb28fe31e1ecde36d6.JPG

As you can see I tried to incoporate the visor clips in the shape of the plastic.

This was printed but the metal side clips still split the plastic even though I increased the size of the holders for them and beefed up the plastic around them.

Also the visors are angled slightly when it locates with the holder in place, so they wouldn't clip in. I'd also made them a little too big... So on to design 3 (LOL I mean 8).

1382906654_0.8assy2.thumb.JPG.5d707d9bcf2e4035b151941ca40e0954.JPG920041407_0.8assy3.thumb.JPG.788ecdecdbeb56ff3becf1baa0922a4a.JPG

I Still have yet to print this version and it's my first attempt of printing in place the two seperate retaining clamps that replace the metal clips.

These pivot around the shafts to enable the holder to fit in the hole and then screw together in the position shown.

There will be threaded brass inserts in the clamps and holder will be clamped in the car body using two M3 cap head screws.

Edited by ALEX

ALEX

A few developments to show, revision 9.3!

The above printed fine though my first attempt to "print in place" the two locating arms fused to the shafts. It's also overly complicated and takes ages to remove all the support material inside.

I decided the internals like the original aren't worth the extra time to print and effort to remove the supports. I thought a more solid feel would be better anyway.

I can alter the infill and shell layer settings in my slicer software to make it light or heavy duty anyway.

Still to print but I've decided on a 2 piece design with a retainer that sits over the hole in the car body then the interior light holder is clamped in place using two M3 screws. I'll be using M3 brass inserts in the retainer for durability.

The retainer is shaped accommodate the aerial. I did think about fixing to this, but mine is off center to hole by about 10mm! So it looks as if these were drilled by eye in the factory.

1769057983_0.93assy2.thumb.JPG.f5f5ccad20d778952dfb8cbd2fcf429d.JPG

Note the small holes in the side and the half moon notch is for mounting the sensors and cabling for my Toad alarm.

339672958_0.93assy1.thumb.JPG.733f0c4c2e14e913001bfeaa9bde0258.JPG

The visor clips worked perfectly on the previous design, heres a closer look.

686762275_0.93assy3.thumb.JPG.ee70c1ef4a3259c7b319dc3e76815981.JPG

I'll get this printed at the weekend hopefully.

ALEX

Here's the model in the slicer showing the internal grid structure.

14 hours 15 min print time! :o

1443244618_0.93cura.thumb.jpg.4ed76a24554a9eb464ad2275d841b932.jpg

ALEX

I managed to get it printed.

Not bad for a prototype. Going to do a few more mods to improve the strength as i broke part of the retainer over tightening it.

Also going to print the next one black.

ret1.thumb.jpg.07347b8e2a5b31b63a47c20f3d6c795e.jpg

fitted1.thumb.jpg.885b280b4cb93efc2c059b5dd3a7e0ff.jpg

fitted2.thumb.jpg.8f282dfff42fdd0d2c2d2dfc5be344e3.jpg

• Like 1

ALEX

Latest design with much stronger mounting.

I still might improve the retainer bracket to locate to the hole as fitting the screws can be tricky, and to add a few fillets on the two outer grooves to neaten it up as Ive been having to file them a little.

I was also thinking of removing the side draft angles to get a better print finish. Draft angles are required for injection molding to help release the part from the mold, and I've copied them to try and replicate the look of the original.

The result is the angles that are on the flat plane of the Z axis (like the one on the side that the sensor is fixed to) end up looking stepped.

37976047_design9.5inside.thumb.jpg.25e5645b7143ef2f07b821c3a66b831c.jpg

I wonder if Im the only person in the UK with a CTi and a sun visor that clips into place?

2127067153_design9.5alarmsensors.thumb.jpg.0d6dd0aa597cb9b85801fbe8ef0b4883.jpg

I think one more to print to finalise the design. Defo in black next time.

SRDT

You could keep the draft angles if you sand it a bit before painting, this grey is too light but black should be too dark.

ALEX
On 11/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, SRDT said:

You could keep the draft angles if you sand it a bit before painting, this grey is too light but black should be too dark.

The original is black on my phase 1.5 grey. Not sure if mine has been changed since factory? but I'm assuming it hasn't.

The surface finish isn't that much textured either so a black print wouldn't look much different to the original.

I have bought some textured finish black paint to experiment on the grey one, just waiting for a nice day and time to do it. It should fill the steps on the draft angle too, though it wouldn't be much of a loss if i end up removing them as they're only 2° and you can barely notice them.

sp_en_ny

Hi Alex, fantastic progress, I still have an original piece with both clips still working. (Sorry not the only cti owner in the UK with sun visors clipping into place) where in the UK are you? If local ish happy to meet up for you to take a look or can send you photos. If you get it all done be very interested in buying one from you so I have a spare as am sure mine will go the way of all the others and end up having a bit of blu tac holding it in.

ALEX
On 12/6/2020 at 8:33 AM, sp_en_ny said:

Hi Alex, fantastic progress, I still have an original piece with both clips still working. (Sorry not the only cti owner in the UK with sun visors clipping into place) where in the UK are you? If local ish happy to meet up for you to take a look or can send you photos. If you get it all done be very interested in buying one from you so I have a spare as am sure mine will go the way of all the others and end up having a bit of blu tac holding it in.

Hi looks like I'm not local sorry :-(

I'll keep this topic updated, might be next year tho. 

sp_en_ny

No Worries, yes please update the post when you can. Good luck.

ALEX

Some progress with this. The retainer part now clips in place. Makes the installation of the light holder much easier to fit. It would move around as you tried fit the screws, now its a doddle.

1047559975_clipinplacedesign.thumb.jpg.f1054b06e9bd31d7df043a5d0961d5ab.jpg

1718373102_clippedinplace.thumb.jpg.194137c84cb06ec3e5c983fda69e539f.jpg

• Like 1

ALEX

Final product! I'm Very happy with this!

Visors now hold in place.

20210106_105719.thumb.jpg.5f47feb1516461b7b5b810f9d6b7df21.jpg

20210106_105843.thumb.jpg.4cd1d154286df73856eb8f1998da7f4d.jpg

Edited by ALEX
  • Like 1

sp_en_ny

That looks superb! Fantastic job. You must be feeling very proud. Are you going to make a batch to sell ? Reckon they will fly of the shelf. Can you reserve first place on the list for me.

ALEX
On 1/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, sp_en_ny said:

That looks superb! Fantastic job. You must be feeling very proud. Are you going to make a batch to sell ? Reckon they will fly of the shelf. Can you reserve first place on the list for me.

Can do but Its not worth my effort to reproduce these at cost.

3d printing isn't like injection molding so making a batch costs no different to making singles.

Here's a breakdown of the work of each assembly.

16 hours printing time (both retainer and holder). With electric, filament, printer maintenance and failed prints it works out about £6 to produce.

M3 Screws and brass inserts around £1 per assembly.

Paint , Primer & filler £3

Labour is about 2 hours per assembly.  This includes setting up the printer / checking print every hour or so, removal of support material, Sanding and painting. At Min wage = £17.44

Original design time 24 hour (3 working days). I know this is one off calculated cost but for small bespoke quantities like this it is a significant cost.

its also difficult to actually calculate as it depends how many I sell.

£35 is the figure I was thinking of. Sorry if its a little high as you could probably get originals on ebay for less (wouldn't be as good though :-b).

I have another one printed but still to paint. I'm also waiting on some screws. PM me if you're still interested.

Alex

Edited by ALEX