• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ob2s

Idle control question

ob2s

My 1.9 idled ok @  a nice 1000rpm, but my mechanic said there was a connectivity issue with one of the plug wires.  Since shipping is so much to the US, I bought new wires, new NGKs BCPR7ES  mentioned in Haynes and gapped as recommended to 8mm, a new coil, and a new rotor cap. I also bought a new distributor, but it won't start the car, despite many different things I tried, but that is something to work on later. Anyway, with all the above, the car now starts and runs better, in fact very well, but the idle is now 1500. I know I can't adjust something easily to get back 1000 rpm, so what would you recommend I try ?

Thanks

petert

There is an air bleed screw in the throttle body. Try adjusting that.

• Thanks 1

ob2s
On 10/28/2020 at 2:49 PM, petert said:

There is an air bleed screw in the throttle body. Try adjusting that.

That seemed to do it, thanks, though it seems to get a little inconsistent/wobbly right at 1000 rpm. The access is quite easy.

Telf

They don't idle that great on a standard setup unless everything is working OK. 

Make sure you have no air leaks,make sure your breather hoses are free of gunk.

You may have to play around with the dizzy and mixture screw to get it to idle better. At least I think that's what I used to have to do.

• Thanks 1

ob2s

Thanks Telf, I seem to have found the right setting, though it takes a while to 'warm' to it. 

SootySport

Hope you are aware the idle can't be set until the engine is up to normal temperature.  The SAD valve will push more air into the throttle body when cold, therefore upsetting your adjustment.

• Thanks 1

ob2s

Yes sir 10 miles @ 75mph on the Interstate just before.

SootySport

Yeh that’ll warm it up !

Is it all ok now?

• Thanks 1

ob2s

It was running great until I replaced the o ring (I forgot before to do it). All I did was pull it out and put back in and now it dies on idle. I will work on it later as it is parked a ways away, but it is only proof of my touch of turd.

Thanks