• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ob2s

Need UK VC5 advice (selling)

ob2s

I know this isn't information that only 205 owners would know, but you're my only UK friends. I bought a 205 in March with a UK registration and I imported it to the United s*ites of American. The only thing I received from the seller was the tear off  'New Keeper Slip' and a pdf doc of a photo of the original VC5. My US equivalent of the DVLA said they would not register the car if I don't have the 'original ownership document'.  When you sell a car in the UK, do you have to return the VC5 to the DVLA ? Since the car was exported, I obviously can't write for a new one. I have to have all the facts together before I write back to my DVLA, because they only do mail and it takes 10-11 weeks for them to even look at it, and I am driving around with Foreign ! plates, hoping the cops, when they pull me over, will give me a 22 week pass due the pandemic. This is not likely of course. The pass. 

Thanks

Tom Fenton

First point, it is a V5C not VC5.

Yes the usual procedure here is to send the V5C back to the DVLA when you sell a car to a new keeper.

Some information here, this is the official government website.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

• Like 1

bacardincoke

The V5C is a two page, four sided document.

The seller should have forwarded you the original first, two sided page in its entirety, after first detaching the 'permanently exporting' slip That tears from the second page (which also includes the 'new keeper' slip it sounds like you were given).

The seller should have completed that 'permanently exported' slip and along with a letter containing you, the buyers name and export address sent it to the DVLA.

If you cannot make out the 11 digit document reference number from the PDF it's repeated on the 'new keeper' slip, it's important, keep it safe and don't unneccesarily share with others to avoid the risk of someone applying fraudulently for a duplicate registration certificate.

Strictly speaking a V5C is only proof of keeper and not of legal ownership, though it's seldom an issue.   

Edited by bacardincoke
  • Thanks 1

ob2s
6 hours ago, bacardincoke said:

The V5C is a two page, four sided document.

Thanks for the tip. I will contact the seller to see if he has anything else. By the way I like your profile picture. I had a momo steering wheel on my 1.9 that I owned in 1990 (in Yorkshire) and I had the Champ du Monde horn button. In my attempt to recreate the same car in this French version I just imported, I found that horn button in NOS form in Poland (ebay). The seller knew it was rare, therefore was not cheap, but I wanted it. Did you wire the horn button up if you have one ? 

trois.jpg

Edited by ob2s

bacardincoke

No problem, hope it works out for you quickly and easily.

I'd image if the seller formally notified the DVLA of the export and to whom it'd then become a matter of record - presumably importing UK cars to the US happens frequently enough for your own licensing authority to have some sort of procedure to check with the DVLA and accept as correct.

I was really lucky with the button... another member, 'Wallby' posted up getting one of his own on a MOMO V35 through eBay. I commented on how the button was on my to get list and a while later he got in touch to say another had been listed if I was still interested... I'd have been none the wiser if he hadn't let me know, very generous thing to do.

Long story, short, won it and as I'd already a V35 sold on the Corse it came with for not much less than I paid, plus got to keep the hub.

There are no terminals on it, this ones just a dummy... could probably be done, but I'm happy enough with the stalk button.

• Thanks 1

dcc

When I sold a car to hilgi it was a nightmare for him to register because of the DVLA, and their lack of information, but he got there in the end.

To throw a spanner in the works, a V5C isn't proof of ownership

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ob2s
2 hours ago, dcc said:

When I sold a car to hilgi it was a nightmare for him to register because of the DVLA, and their lack of information, but he got there in the end.

To throw a spanner in the works, a V5C isn't proof of ownership

I contacted the previous owner and he said he had a version that DVLA sent back to him (long time because of CV19) and that might do the trick here, I had only a color copy of it and they rejected it because they wanted the original. I won't mention that the 'proof of ownership' thing ;-) Thanks

AlexRS2782

For the OP - if you have the UK reg plates still you can enter it on the .gov site to see what the current status is:

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

If it's been correctly declared by the last owner (as exported) to the DVLA it should either have YES marked against the export marker tab, or if it's an older car that was off the road for a while before sale, then you may get a car not found message.

Bear in mind that due to CV, the DVLA was pretty much shut in most departments dealing with paper based processing, with the exception of some online services, so dependent on when / how your seller processed the paperwork it may / may not have been processed until the last month or so.  There have been a few people on other forums who have posted that they only received new V5's in August / September for a car they bought back in March / April where the seller had posted the paperwork - whereas the online services seemed to be being turned around in a matter of 1 or 2 weeks.

Edited by AlexRS2782
  • Thanks 1