• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
neilc

Steering Problem

neilc

I have noticed that my 205 steering is asymmetrical 1.4 turns to the right and 1.9 turns to the left in the other direction from straight ahead position

I have since disconnected the tie rods from the hubs and the problem still exists

The steering rack on another gti I have has the number 9431236021 the one on the car with the problem is 7941103629 is anyone able to tell me the turns lock to lock for each of the serial numbers quoted

While  I can adjust the tie rods to equalise the turns in each direction I will still  only have 3.3 turns and I thought non PAS steering racks on Gti was 3.9.

comments thoughts would be appreciated.

SRDT

Remove the steering ram and try again, the only rack that is asymmetrical is the 306 GTI6 one and it's done inside the ram.

If it's the same (and you don't have a six speed gearbox) then you just have to get the rack mid travel before setting the steering wheel straight.

neilc

Thanks Baptist’s this each is not a power assisted rack and doesn’t have a ram.  The total number of turns lock to lock is 3.3 I did not think there were any manual racks with that ratio?  

if I centre the rack I will need to lengthen the tie rods to get the wheel in the correct position.

your thoughts