• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Deantracy17

Goetze Oil Control Ring Orientation

Deantracy17

I have been fitting my new piston rings to my rebuild 1.6 and have come across a problem. I bought Goetze rings. The top 2 have the orientation stamped on them ‘top’. The oil control ring has nothing on it. It also looks like it can go either way round. Question is, am I missing something or does it not matter?  It says to have the split in the ring and the split in the coil opposing, which I have done. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Telf

As per my answer earlier. Page 11 of the build . The ring that is stamped top goes as it says, the others as per the diagram

Telf

the splits are correct , never in line.

Deantracy17
Just now, Telf said:

As per my answer earlier. Page 11 of the build . The ring that is stamped top goes as it says, the others as per the diagram

The oil control ring doesn’t look like the diagram. I was looking for the chamfer but can’t see one. Was going to take one into work tomorrow and look at it under the microscope. 

Telf

No i seem to recall that mine didn't either. Does it look like the picture on page 11? That's how mine where installed and no issues so far. Hence pretty sure ok

DamirGTI

If there's no "TOP" , dots , or other markings on the ring it doesn't matter ... it can go either way , that oil control ring is not "oriental" .

Any of the markings present always means must be faced up .

D

Deantracy17

I checked it out in work today using a microscope and it looks the same other side. I guess it doesn’t matter which way it goes. I’ll just stick it in any way. There is a GOE mark on it, stands for Goetze. I’ll use that as the top.

Cheers to both yourself and Telf on this topic.