• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

GTI Front Droplinks Cramping my Standard Brakelines

Gohn

fresh from sorting my Turbo Diesel fuel priming issues (engine tickety along thanks all), I've now removed base model subby etc and bolted up the replacement (straight not bent) used GTi subframe, ARB, new GTI control arms etc

Last thing to bolt up was the GTI droplinks.

And now I find they knock into the base model brake fixing points. Never heard anything about this, never owned a GTI so nothing to compare to before finding these things out as I go along in ignorance

Referred to an old article on here which shows a pic that the GTI's came with a fixing point that is slightly higher and back from the base model, (to accommodate the GTI droplinks obviously)...and its also rotated

if there's anyone that's converted from base model to GTi/TD I'd appreciate your own experience/solutions here

It looks a bit ominous, ie grind off existing ones, weld them back on (if salvageable) in the right location

can brake fixings be bought ? how do I get the new location right ?

if thats all done, then I'll still need to get new LF and RF brake lines without even old ones to get the bends right 

any suggestions appreciated

with others that have converted base model's to GTI/Turbo Diesel what

GTI brake fixings.png

std brake fixings.JPG

Ozymandis

Your going to have to convert to the Gti tpe of flexi, it has a moulded piece approx half way along its length that pushes into the bracket on the strut to hold it in place, and then you will have to move the bracket on the inner wing.

Clean all the underseal etc off, its spot welded on and they can be carefully drilled out to remove it. Not a big job if you have welding facilities.

xstian

I had to do this on my van, when I converted it to a GTi subframe. I drilled the spot welds off and re-welded them in the correct position, pretty easy to do, even with my crap welding.

I'm also running Peugeot 306 struts, so the drop link is in a different position, can't remember if this made it better or worse, either way the bracket had to be moved. 

Gohn

ok right , thanks for the encouraging replies,

so its doable for a plonker like me then

take off wheel arch undercoating, drill out brake fixing spot welds, weld them into new position

buy new set of GTI flexible brake hoses

But, do I need to get the new positions exactly right ?

Im pretty sure the GTI hoses will clip into those little fixings on the TD struts I have ? (the ones below the droplink bolt fixings) does that look right ?

and then I spose I'll need to put my hands on some front GTI brake lines

jackherer

I had to do this on a CTI once. There have been quite a few posts on here about this over the years.

3 minutes ago, Gohn said:

But, do I need to get the new positions exactly right ?

No, just make sure the pipes don't touch anything while the steering and suspension cover their full range of motion.

Gohn

thanks again,

I must be searching wrong ?

I thought there'd be heaps of past discussion on this too

but the only thing I could find was the pic I lifted from the above article (which is on another topic)

looked in the technical section too and nothing I could find there

where's my wire wheel

Ozymandis
6 hours ago, Gohn said:

m pretty sure the GTI hoses will clip into those little fixings on the TD struts I have ? (the ones below the droplink bolt fixings) does that look right ?

Yes thats what they are for.

Gohn

thanks for the links kieran,

struts out, old brake hoses off

TD/GTi brake hoses ordered

scraped the underbody sealant off with a flathead, marked out the new position for brackets

drilling the two spot welds in the bracket

dont wanna take metal from here that I dont need to

up to 7mm bit now and still wont come off

8mm , 10mm ?

brake4.JPG

welshpug

10 mm will probably do it, thats the size of the spot weld bit I used from memory

Ozymandis
30 minutes ago, welshpug said:

10 mm will probably do it, thats the size of the spot weld bit I used from memory

I concur, my spot weld bits 3/8

Gohn

mine came off with the 8.5mm bit

didn't need to go thru the wall either,

jus shallow drilled thru the bracket