• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

kachel

Ignition question

kachel

Hi all, 

I am building my cti 1.9 back to the original engine. That is a 1.9 DFZ Jetronic engine. It seems that I do not have the original ignition from the DFZ engine anymore. Is it OK that I use the 1.9 D6b 0237009066 ignition for the time being on the DFZ engine? 

karabas

0237 009 051 / 074 for XU9J1.

They have different advance curves. May run in an awkward position in order to adjust firing.
I used to have kinda setup. Notice the dizzy mounting position.

It was 0 237 009 611 instead of 0 237 009 066. (I have D6B engine.)

image.png.1491941f172be2d8baa240ba08a9bb94.png

dizzy advance.jpg

kachel

Thanks Karabas, so if I get the ignition timing right with the light gun on the fly wheel it should be OK? 

kachel

Did my first drive today with the D6b dizzy on the DFZ engine. After warming up I set the ignition with the 10 degree bow and light gun. It runs great! 

• Like 1

petert

The D6B dizzy will have less centrifugal advance rate than the DFZ, as it's designed to run with a higher compression ratio. The DFZ dizzy comes in really hard down low, which makes it a real pain in the @arse when you run it at 10:1 etc. In pings like crazy with anything more than about 11º static, around 2200-2500. The D6B dizzy should give you a lot more tuning options.

kachel

Thanks for the explanation Petert! 

Cheers.