Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Gunson Gas Tester - Emissions...

bacardincoke

Picked up one of those Gunson Gas Testers (digital type - G4125)

It's not quite plug'n'play... you need to be very particular about how you set it up and use it, plus it's got an advertised accuracy of +/- 0.5% meaning if you're hovering just below the 3.5% threshold it could be a problem.

Anyone else used one these / have longer experience of them?

Initially I was consistently getting between 2.4 to 2.8% with it (hence the accuracy being a worry) but having gone over everything with a fine tooth comb several times it's now down to a regular 1.5 - 1.8%.

Do you find them accurate / your readings match the MOT testers readings?

Separately... any one use the emission reducing additives, some even advertise as being specifically for pre-MOT use?

Biggles

I've got an older model but looking at it, it's functionally the same.  You need to be patient calibrating it but I've always had good agreement with the MOT station.

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Good to hear, thanks. I'd nothing to compare it to and was just wondering.

They're a bit fragile feeling construction wise... I wasn't expecting it to be so light weight, but it seems to be pretty reliable if the consistent readings are anything to go by.

Richie-Van-GTi

I have the older version of that as well, not been used in a lot of years and I have lost the instructions. Anyone care to remind me how to set it up and calibrate, I have a feeling I will need it when I get this XS engined car running.

bacardincoke

This is a PDF copy I'd downloaded before getting one, just to have an idea of how it worked etc.

As it turned out it's the same as the printed one that came with it, I'd image it's a similarset up etc. for older ones.

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91Ihi6jU31S.pdf

Just found this one... seems to go into more detail than the one above -

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/22122814/gastester-digital-gunson

Edited by bacardincoke
  • Thanks 1

Richie-Van-GTi

That second link is perfect, thank you