• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Junior1

Just won't start

Junior1

Hi lads, 

Right...... I'm completely stumped with this one. 954cc TU..... New dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads, plugs, battery, timing belt, fuel line. 

Car was running off petrol can hooked up to the pump no problem just as a test fire, would fire up on the button and idle over just fine. 

Had an issue with a fuel leak when I plumbed it to the new line so that was fixed, getting plenty of juice to the pump and carb but harder to start?? 

Car was running fine, drove about 50 yards and shuddered to a halt, wouldn't wind over and started sounded awful when trying now.

Starter bendix bearing replaced, winding over but just doesn't want to go at all now. 

I've proven the leads work, tried 2 sets of new plugs, double checked timing etc. Starter is now completely f***ed so that will need replacing for a start but I just don't get it? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

dawning

I would look at the fuel lifter, but sounds like you've done that already. 

Could the engine have seized up if it didn't turn over afterwards?

Junior1
2 hours ago, dawning said:

I would look at the fuel lifter, but sounds like you've done that already. 

Could the engine have seized up if it didn't turn over afterwards?

Yea new fuel filter also on it. Engine is still turning over thankfully, just cranked it over with the plugs out. 

Junior1

Bump

Fallowsnz

What about your ignition amp? My xs once had the lead to the ignition amp fall off mid overtake... Thought i'd blown the engine up as it was doing near 7000 revs .. once i'd coasted to the side with some apologetic waves, tried to start it and it just turned over but obviously wouldn't start.  The plug is now held in place with a coupe of zip ties.

• Like 1

Junior1

Thanks mate, I'll check it out. Only thing I haven't replaced was the coil and amp so it's worth a try