• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Confirmation of rear damper part number...

bacardincoke

1989 phase 1.5, 1.9 UK non cat / non abs car... no suspension mods that I'm aware of other than the rear dampers I'm thinking of changing are definitely some unknown aftermarket brand.

Service box shows the OE damper as 5206.45 which may well be out of date / superceeded by something else since the on-line version I looked at was published.

Quite a few of the on-line suppliers instead show 5206.54 as the OE part number when offering up compatable alternatives.

Are .45 and .54 one in the same, have they just been re-catalouged at some point for example?

Ideally just want to know if 5206.54 is suitable for my car, if so great... if not I'll start getting into what is at that point rather than complicate things now.

Thanks in advance.

Gohn

its a bit confusing but here are the two catalogue pages I have that relate to the rear shocker

there's way more version's listed than I thought were used on the different models but that's just my ignorance probly

the "REP" followed by a number may refer to the VIN so everything after that VIN is suitable for that part number ??

In the Reference page of the catalogue REP is translated to MARK so its still a bit unclear, to me anyway ...

ScanImage445.jpg

ScanImage446.jpg

• Thanks 1

jord294

You won't find decent originals. So best option is bilstein b4 fat body shocks

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Just guessing... maybe that 'rep' number refers to the number stamped on the damper itself.

The service box page I could see didn't have a 5206.54 listed at all, I think it was dated 1990, whereas yours seem to be 1993.

Again just a guess saying as the 'fat body' shocks mentioned seem to be for GTI's - would 'Dia' be diameter and 'G' for grande?

Perhaps 'M215' refers to a significant measurement they have, again just speculating.

Originals presumably have coloured bands as that's also highlighted in the schematics.

Colour coded for ease of identification maybe? If so woild be interesting to know what colour refers to what spec.

Your second scan seems to answer my question regardless and specifically excludes 5206.54 as suitable for XU9JA cars.

Thanks anyway, appreciate the answers.

Andy - might surprise you what you can turn up on the inter-web!

dampers.jpg

DamirGTI

1.9 shocks had yellow paint ring , and 1.6 (including 1.3 euro rallye) blue paint ring . 

D

• Like 1

welshpug

last part number I recall which was decent was crossed to a 306, 5206 TE.

• Like 1

Gohn

right, I didn't notice the colour code references. but makes sense , the front springs also all have different coloured stripes to easily identify if its the correct spring for your waaagon

jackherer
On 9/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, welshpug said:

last part number I recall which was decent was crossed to a 306, 5206 TE.

The last pair I got were 5206 N0 which are intended for the ZX 16v / Xsara VTS IIRC.

welshpug

slightly shorter higher rate, i think phase2 vts may have originally been a different number.

Edited by welshpug