• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

1991sorrento205

No idea!

Ashman

Dude - it runs - a pretty good step forward from yesterday I think? The oil from around the Cambelt end could just be the cam cover seal? I wouldn't bother stripping the lump at the moment, especially if it isn't chucking out exhaust smoke, oil or water from the block etc. Try and get it running cleanly first. As the guys said above, any air leaks from the rubber pipes and fittings will cause all manor of lumpiness. Clean out and check all the intake side of things first and go from there. If it's been standing for a while then pretty much all the coolant, air and oil rubbers will be breaking down, so you will probably chase one leak after another for a while...

1991sorrento205

The oil is leaking from the head gasket, the previous idiot lost the washers that go with the head bolts so all the ones at the back of the head are made up of original bolts but oversized nuts as washers so there is no way the head could have been torqued down correctly. So this is where I’m at, head off, check the numpty hasn’t left his glass eye or his mobile phone in there somewhere, re check everything he’s looked at with his good eye and pretty much replace everything else. Although it is progress from the last couple of days, it struggles to start but does eventually, it runs like a dog and I have to tickle the throttle to keep it going. There could be a possibility that there is a bent valve due to the muppet getting the cam position wrong upon reassembly. There’s too many unknowns to persevere with and waste time trying to get it right. I’d rather have it apart and know in my own mind that everything is 100% otherwise what’s the point? These are great little cars and although this one is fighting me all the way I want it to have a future. Head gasket set, bolts, washers and cam belt kit, tensioner and water pump ordered. I’ll keep you all updated Monday and put a few pics up. Thanks for your valuable help and I’m sure I’ll be asking a few more after the weekend! 

SootySport

Buy a Haynes manual and it will tell you the set up procedure for throttle cable, idle etc.    Just done mine by the book and runs good.  

You'll find another one or two mystery loom plugs in the engine bay that are disconnected but don't worry about them, tie wrap them out of harms way.

1991sorrento205

Hoses good and connected, checked the throttle butterfly and cable was clipped back way too far so effectively ‘wide open’. Sorted that and now runs but lumpy, now to set up the distributor to its correct place, but she runs! Only worry is oil pissing out around cam pulley end which I need to investigate. Seems one step forward and three back at the minute. The person that worked on this before was a right muppet. I think I’m going to have to do a full strip down and re check everything he’s done. I think I’m going to have to chuck a lot of parts at the thing. Thanks for the help guys it’s been an re education on old school stuff. 

1991sorrento205

I’ve got a Haynes and although fairly useful there’s always a bit they don’t cover. It’s great this site always has someone who knows the missing info.

SootySport
On 9/12/2020 at 11:53 AM, 1991sorrento205 said:

I’ve got a Haynes and although fairly useful there’s always a bit they don’t cover. It’s great this site always has someone who knows the missing info.

My manual shows the idle set up for all the different injection systems, have a look the section for Multipoint injection if you have Jetronic xu5 system.    Timing is the the first set up you need to do before anything else .

1991sorrento205

Thanks for that. The head is off and good job I did. The previous owner didn’t clean off the surfaces of the old gasket and slapped the new one on. The head was only torqued down to 1st stage so that explains the oil pissing out that side of the head . I’m now Doubting the whole engine. I have an arrow on each piston with DIST next to it. I’m praying that has no consequence and that doesn’t mean they should be the other way pointing to the distributor!  

4A5912FB-1C07-4D93-9D10-56007DB3733C.jpeg

Tom Fenton

Dist points to cambelt end.

1991sorrento205

Thanks for that. The head is off and good job I did. The previous owner didn’t clean off the surfaces of the old gasket and slapped the new one on. The head was only torqued down to 1st stage so that explains the oil pissing out that side of the head . I’m now Doubting the whole engine. I have an arrow on each piston with DIST next to it. I’m praying that has no consequence and that doesn’t mean they should be the other way pointing to the distributor!  

1991sorrento205

Phew! Had a panic on for a second. Head gasket set, timing belt kit, Water pump,  thermostat all coming tomorrow so all being well it should sound a lot healthier by Wednesday. Fingers crossed. 

1991sorrento205

So, update, loosing the will to live with this car. Everything is timed up, triple checked. I got fuel, I got spark, I got compression, everything is as it should and the bastard still won’t flipping start! In all my years of engines this one has got me beat. I’m going to give it one more day of fiddling and then that’s it.....it’ll be going up for sale as a non bastard runner. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

DamirGTI

Try this with an can of "easy start" spray :

- if it starts and runs on spray then there's spark but no fuel

- if it doesn't run on spray (not even a cough) , usually no spark/weak spark , or can be both no spark and no fuel (to divide that further : take the plugs out and see if they're wet .. if so then there's fuel , so lacks just the spark)

D

1991sorrento205

Tried all that. Have fuel, have good strong spark, have compression, tried easy start, just will not go. I’m going to have one last look at it later today. If it’s a no go I’m giving up. I’ve built/restored/repaired/serviced many cars in my life and this one has me baffled. ALL the basic areas have been covered, there is some amiss with this engine, it may be something amazingly simple but I fear it is a dead duck. Tempting to remove this engine and totally strip it and rebuild on the bench and get a micrometer out and measure the hell out of it. I thinks it’s a timing/mechanical issue but as yet to fathom it out.

Andy

Err, ‘dist’ means distribution , referring to the camshaft drive. So the arrows on the top of the piston should point away from the distributor and towards the camshaft drive. If incorrect, this would not cause your non starting issue but will give other longer term mechanical problems as the pistons have an offset built in to the gudgeon pin centre line .

1991sorrento205

Thankyou that’s a relief as the head is back on already. Anyone know what the voltage should be to the injectors? There’s fuel pressure up to the rail but I am now suspecting whether the injectors are opening 

pugdamo

Should be battery voltage at the injector. 

pugdamo

Just had a read back through your posts, it's unlikely but I looked at a GTI for a mate a while ago, he did a head on it and it wouldn't go, turns out he got the coolant temp plug and the plug for the SAD the wrong way round, he had all the right things, spark/compression/fuel etc but it wouldn't go. If you have a black plug on the coolant temp sensor and a blue plug on the SAD swap them round. It's unlikely but work a look. 

1991sorrento205

Sure enough they were the wrong way round and still no go. I don’t appear to have fuel being injected but plenty of pressure at the fuel rail. Need to trace/work out if there’s a relay somewhere I reckon. Thanks for the info, all very helpful.

1991sorrento205

Ok, trying to hunt down the tachymetric relay. My car is a phase 2 1991 model. It’s supposed to be under the dash by the ecu. But it’s nowhere to be seen. I have hunted high and low and just don’t see it. I’ve checked the engine bay, fuse box, everywhere. There just doesn’t appear to be one anywhere. Any ideas? 

SootySport
On 9/22/2020 at 11:40 AM, 1991sorrento205 said:

Ok, trying to hunt down the tachymetric relay. My car is a phase 2 1991 model. It’s supposed to be under the dash by the ecu. But it’s nowhere to be seen. I have hunted high and low and just don’t see it. I’ve checked the engine bay, fuse box, everywhere. There just doesn’t appear to be one anywhere. Any ideas? 

It’s under drivers side lower dash, probably tied up. Look between the ignition switch and the kick panel by the A post.  The loom to the relay is quite long so could be anywhere in that area.  Relay is black and about the same size as any other relay.

yeti-dj

Hi,

it may help you out but I had a Gti a few years back and someone had put the tacho relay behind the panel down at your feet on the drivers side, Took us weeks to find the little bastard! 

good luck