• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Colm Lynam

Colm Lynam

Colm Lynam

I've just acquired a 1989 1.1 GL, 4door 205, it has 38,000 miles and is in very good condition.  Couple of minor issues but steering is very heavy despite having new tyres inflated to 35psi.

I heard that if you tap one of the knuckles and use loads of WD40 while car is on axle stands it can free up steering column and lighten steering.  I haven't  attempted this yet but would appreciate any advice or tips on how to go about this and are there any other ways to lighten steering?

jackherer

If the steering is still heavy with it jacked up then try WD40 on the steering column lower U/J.

If it is light with the wheels in the air have a look at the suspension top mounts.

Colm Lynam

Many thanks for advice, 'will try what you suggest tomorrow

Colm Lynam

Many thanks for advice, 'will try what you suggest tomorrow. 

I did what you told me Kieran and used WD40 on the lower U/J, it took several applications and a bit of wiggling around but eventually it loosed up and steering is now a lot lighter.

Many thanks again,

Colm

• Like 1

Ozymandis

Go back and do it again with some real oil a couple of times, the WD will evaporate and it will stiffen up again.