• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DSYKES5500

I have a puddle

DSYKES5500

I've never noticed a puddle here before. It was really heavy rain last night. It's gone down into the boot and soaked the insulation. 

I can't see any sign of where it came from though. Everything above it looks dry. Has anyone else had a puddle here and worked out where it came from?

Thanks

20200820_122827.jpg

Ozymandis

I had a similar thing, and it ran down the fore/aft seam. It was the boot seal allowing it to run down and pool .

bacardincoke

Ditto... got caught out miles from home driving in monsoon weather about 6 weeks ago. 

Checked the car over immediately on return so was able to see exactly where there was a tiny weep from the seal of the hatch, just around where the hatch strut fixes.

Just needed pushed on all the more firmly to sort out.

AlexRS2782

As above - either related to the rubber body seal or the tailgate.  In my case it was both.

If the seal isn't on tightly enough or is very old / shrunk it will let water past near the top of the body / hinge area, run down inside the seal and drain out into the car at the point of least resistance (right in the corners).

It's also worth checking to ensure water isn't getting into the tailgate panel too as, if it is, it will build up then exit into the car via the drain holes which are located in the same place the water is getting in.  It's worth checking the seal(s) on the lock mechanism, wiper mechanism, spoiler fixings and also the fixing points for the slatted rear panel as there are a couple of holes behind there that water can get in - as i found after i fitted a reflective rear tailgate panel years ago and didn't seal those holes.   

Ozymandis

Take a picture of the top of it where the hinge, side and corner are, it will be obvious to me whether I think its too compressed/shrunk, because I have titted about with 2 of them within the last month or so.

DSYKES5500
On 8/22/2020 at 3:40 PM, Ozymandis said:

Take a picture of the top of it where the hinge, side and corner are, it will be obvious to me whether I think its too compressed/shrunk, because I have titted about with 2 of them within the last month or so.

It does look a little flat in the middle but looked to be dry. I did notice a lot of water coming out of the drain holes in the tailgate when I opened it. Could it be getting in behind the rear panel?

20200827_170529.jpg

Ozymandis

That doesnt look right to me, none of mine have a " dip" like that. The regular series of holes in the hollow section can lead to water inside the seal running down and pooling , is there the possibility that the waters collecting in your dip and getting into the seal? ie a close by hole.

Water in the tailgates often from the trim panel holes, the washer jet, the lock and sometimes the wiper spindle. Take your pick. Lock and wiper jet are the simplest to do, remove, clean and a spot of sealent.

I found my leaks by removing the trim panel, lying/squatting  in the back and getting a hosepipe dribbled on to it whilst i watched. The major leak was from the top right ,a little into the middle from the hinge. And the pooling was, as I said, water getting into the hollow section and running down.

I would replace that seal, mine didnt look that bad, but both of them leaked.

• Thanks 1

DSYKES5500

Thanks, I'll do the same with the hosepipe and the trim off.