• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Re-assembling old headlights...

bacardincoke

Intend to change the aftermarket headlights on my '89 1.9 for second hand Valeo / Marchal ones.

Even being 30+ years older than the copies the originals seem to be a far better fit / finish.

Got a pair for not too much, however the glass lenses weren't too secure.

Up side is they came off easily without any damage, down side is they have to go back on at some point.

If some one has used a specific product to re-seal them and knows for a fact it works / stands the test of time would be grateful to hear... cheers.

SweetBadger

Also in this position- glass fell out of my headlight while I was refitting it! Was planning on using a silicone sealant, but interested to know of any better options. White tiger seal was the other option I was considering.

miamigtimark

I used a bead of clear silicone sealant on mine about 8years ago . They are still fine with no condensation problems or discolouration 

• Thanks 1

Ozymandis

I converted a 2CV to RHD, glass lenses, metal bodies, similar construction and used clear silicon it lasted years until I lost touch with the car. Id use a tiger seal type thing if i did it again

• Thanks 1

Thijs_Rallye

If you want to be sure they will not come off ever again use sikaflex window adhesive/sealant.

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Thanks all... that's given me a few choices to look into further, SweetBadger - will put up how I get on!

SweetBadger
4 hours ago, bacardincoke said:

Thanks all... that's given me a few choices to look into further, SweetBadger - will put up how I get on!

Cheers, looks like there’s a few options that will do the job.

bacardincoke

Checked out a few different sealants / adhesives on-line and while you can't always take any reviews as gospel this stuff seems to only get positive comments, plus even one or two mentions of using it successfully to re-attach headlight glass.

It's also clear drying, some cure translucent. Thought if it wasn't visible, any less than perfect bits would be harder to see.

The original stuff cleaned back up to near white and as it was complete / already shaped to the countours of the glass and still made a perfect seal I left it in place, plus it was so well stuck I don't think I could have removed it completely to start afresh even I'd wanted to.

Easy to work with and apply, takes 24 hours to fully set - will stick up a photo of it fitted back in then.

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

SweetBadger

Hi looks good.

I managed to get most of the original adhesive out of mine (although it was stuck in there well). If you do that you need a massive bead of adhesive to fill the plastic channel!

Ended up using some PU adhesive that I had hanging around as it works well with a large bead - can gap fill.

http://delta-adhesives.co.uk/products/info/d210-tru-flex-40ms-hybrid-sealant-adhesive/

Have used it to good effects previously to bond arches to bodywork, and it's UV resistant so should do the trick.

• Like 1

bacardincoke

I'm starting to think most of the modern adhesive ones will do a decent job, there doesn't seem to be any big advantage using one over another.

What made me wary of using the purely silicone type was what happens to the stuff if you use WD40 on it.

Read a tip years ago when putting a new shower in that it's good for removing old bathroom sealant and while that's an exaggeration (didn't disolve it for example) it does turn it jelly like and helps a little when taking it off.

bacardincoke

Proof's in the pudding and even though it's only been weeks got to say the Sikaflex stuff works a treat... recommended.

Cured clear as expected so you don't see they've been re-sealed and are holding rock solid.

An unplanned effect of changing out the head lights is they now make the Denji spots stand out and look a bit odd.

The Marchals have a slight yellow hue being old glass while the Denji's are new and a bright clear white.

Since picked up a set of SIEM's, plus a spare for less than £30.00 posted... wouldn't have paid the prices they usually seem to go for otherwise.

Despite not costing much I don't want them getting damaged.

There are at least two repro. cover types that I've seen... jury's still out on whether I like the look or not but if I do get some am leaning towards those that clip on over the whole unit as opposed to screw on type that use the existing holes.

Some pics on the inter-web / sellers auctions, but difficult to get a proper idea.

Anyone got the type I'm talking about and can put up some better images of them fitted?

jackherer

The screw on type are copies of the genuine Peugeot accessories from back in the day. I compared them to some originals and they are identical except the screen printing on the repros is very slightly better!

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

May have to be those as clearance may be an issue. Again, hard to see from seller images but looks like the screw on variety don't go as far back round the edges as the clip on do.

My lamps are already very close to the valance in those places and point further down than I'd like to avoid rubbing paint (plus forward range is affected).

They're at the max of their adjustment without getting into making more permanent changes.

Gohn

good job

sikaflex is fantastic

from memory mine had some little staino clips to make double sure there's no loosening

they clip onto the little glass tabs on the side, and look like a squashed flat C

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Found a pic of a 309 lamp, you can just make out the clip you're talking about...

clip.JPG

Gohn

yeah thats them

I've also found the same with the aftermarket lights. mine were called DEPO.

I recommend you steer clear of them

Got a set and then after only a few years of use the chrome/reflective lining degraded on them quickly

I might have made them degrade quicker because I drive with my lights on whether its night or day

but the reflective coating looks really thin and just starting crazing and flaking, especially on the lower surface

I checked some valeo and marchal originals and they are way better even years later

the lining on your pics looks very good, pretty much flawless

I also read an earlier post from someone that had the chroming re done and I'd love to know how to do that if anyone has tips

jackherer

I've seen DEPO lights for quite a few different makes and models, they were all pretty badly made.

bacardincoke

Be interesting to know if the actual glass part on Valeo / Marchal 205 and 309 lamps are the same... relying on images, but from what I can tell the metal buckets have different brackets and the intermediate plastic part is more elongated but can't judge the lenses easily.

The lights being replaced were TYC, and seem relatively new so can't comment on how they'd have lasted.

Did notice they've no type approval or 'E' markings of any sort and when we tried to set the beams for the MOT one was quite badly out which no amount of adjustment would fix.

They were marked RHD, but even so there was a large, random bright spot... would've definitely been a fail as it would've been quite blinding to oncoming vehicles, hence replacing them.

The original Hella front fogs on MK2 Golfs haven't been available new for some time and even well used ones can fetch some serious money.

DEPO produced copies and were a favourite replacement, though I think they too are now no longer made... ironically they now seem to be relatively expensive secondhand compared to other, newer reproductions.

SRDT

309 lamps should be a bit bigger, the whole car is 60mm wider than a non GTI 205.

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Cheers - Sort of suspected there must be a difference, otherwise there'd probably have be a few references on-line about swapping them around... shame as used 309 lights, in good condition seem to be more plentiful than 205's, might have potentially helped when making up a good set if there was a wider range of bits to choose from.

DamirGTI

Had my first pair of TYC front lamps for about 7 years , and no complains .. replaced them recently with the new ones (also TYC) just because i dropped and broke one of my old lamps while working round the car ...

I'd say the most effective way to make the lights better , was cutting off the main original lights wiring loom and rewiring the lights on two separate relays .. as the original wiring often oxidizes copper strands deep down/under insulation and trough the good bit of wiring length , reducing current flow and thus less bulb illumination intensity .

Easy to test if there's any losses within the wiring being bad , by switching the lights on facing against the wall or similar , then directly bridging the battery positive terminal with the each headlight bulb .. if the wiring is bad enough , the difference in illumination intensity can then be clearly seen before/after (obviously , preferably done at night outside or in the garage) .

last but also recommended , some better quality headlight bulbs ... i have an pair of  Phillips +130 "extreme vision" bulbs and they really are improvement over the usual/normal headlight bulbs , definitely not placebo effect !

I tend to drive a lot at night , and prefer night driving thus i want the lights to be as best as possible .

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

bacardincoke

Thought I'd cracked it with these, (no pun intended)... trouble is they're probably 30+ years old and the rigid plastic's so brittle the first stone that's thrown up'll wreck them.

3.jpg

4.jpg

jackherer

I have some of those and some white SIEM covers in a different style.

Make sure you unplug the lights or the relay or something when you have them fitted, if you forget they are there and turn main beam on they'll warp and deteriorate.

You clearly have the same taste as me for period accessories :lol:

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Unfortunately it's true... hang over from MK1/ 2 Golf ownership, stuff in the loft that'll likely never see the light of day again, but it's in an 1980 / 90's VW accessory catalogue so must have it!

Think the SIEM covers are destined for the same fate, like them but totally impractical.

• Haha 1