• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Aidan205

Both reverse AND fog coming on?!

Aidan205

Hi, new (old) member after some help

Just getting my GTi MOT ready, it hasnt been on the road 15 years. Thought i was there, but have just done a full lights check.

It's a PH2 so has fog and reverse in bumper

Initially, when i put the car into reverse, the fog light also came on. So i pressed the fog switch on, and both remained on...

I then went under the rear bumper to check connections, seem to be correct (not wrong way round etc). Now ive connected everything back up and the fog has stopped working...

So now, when i put the car in reverse, the reverse light comes on. BUT, when i put the fog on, the reverse light also comes on! The fog itself doesnt work at all!

Argh!!!! Any pointers appreciated, electrics are my weak point

(For the record, fog fuse and bulb both work, ive checked them)

Have i potentially messed up the wiring further by fiddling i.e. car in reverse, fog switch on, remove connections, fog switch off, connections back on, remove from reverse (those sort of cycles?) 

welshpug

check the connections in the rear of the left hand light cluster, both are fed from there iirc

Aidan205

Thanks very much, i took the l/h cluster off today and sure enough both the blue and red wires (reverse / fog) had been crimped together. Absolutely no idea who or why they would have done this but i've cut and re-joined them separately.

I feel a bit silly having asked the initial question now, as i cant believe it was something so simple (and stupid!), but thought there might be some well known issue that caused the problem.

Cheers

welshpug

nice to find the smoking gun and have a relatively easy fix!