• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary C

Diff Change from Plated to ???

Gary C

Hi All,

My 1.9 GTi came with a 1.6 be3 gearbox and an alleged Quafe LSD, however Puyg1poff say it isnt a quafe but it is a motosport plated diff.

Bottom line is a I don't like it, and want to change it out to something more usable on the road, any ideas and how easy is it?

I sup[pose I can sell the plated diff on to recoup some of my ever dwindling funds!!

Edited by Gary C

Tom Fenton

Can be done with the gearbox still in the car, by removing the front subframe (not a massive job). How easy it is depends how confident/experienced you are working on a car.

If you don't like the plate diff, then a torque biasing is probably better for you. Quaife ATB is the most common one.

Gary C
1 hour ago, Tom Fenton said:

Can be done with the gearbox still in the car, by removing the front subframe (not a massive job). How easy it is depends how confident/experienced you are working on a car.

If you don't like the plate diff, then a torque biasing is probably better for you. Quaife ATB is the most common one.

Yeah good call, I think i will be kissing goodbye to the best part of a grand for that, no idea what  a plated diff is worth if i stick it on fleabay ??

Daniel306

The quaife is 700 new but iv seen a few used for sale about 400. iv got one and its perfect but in a straight line under load it dose like to tramline.

welshpug

get the diff changed to a less aggressive setting.

petert

Quaife is definitely best for road use. Most of the time you don't even know it's there. You've got other geometry issues if it's tramlining. I'd imagine you'll be able to sell the plate diff for a least half of the new Quaife price.

Mac Crash

I changed my diff from standard to Quaife ATB without removing subframe, just undid top engine mount and used sling to pull it forward for enough clearance.

Did have benefit of ramp at the time though.