• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DSYKES5500

What colour is my car?

DSYKES5500

When I bought the car it was advertised as Magnum grey. I ordered a sample pot of paint to later be made into aerosols, giving my reg number but it came labelled as Steel grey. I've sprayed primer onto some card, then the paint with the brush and then sprayed lacquer over. 

I've called Peugeot but all they've got it listed as is grey. There's no paint code under the bonnet as it's either faded or been painted over in the past. I've checked the vin but there's no paint markers in there I believe. 

Here's some pics:

20200809_174259.jpg

20200809_175001.jpg

20200809_174328.jpg

DSYKES5500

20200724_161035.jpg

FB_IMG_1593704371046.jpg

welshpug

really needs to be on something with the same surface finish and same colour base primer to get an accurate gauge if its a match

DSYKES5500

Ah, OK thanks. This is quoted as Steel Grey. Mine's a 1992 and I'm sure there were only two types of grey at the time. This looks a lot lighter than mine:

37978314402_04d40dd9df_c.jpg

24156831718_cab95075d0_c.jpg

DSYKES5500

This one is quoted as being Magnum Grey:

205-6.jpg

DSYKES5500

It's a phase 1 made to look like a phase 2 up for sale for £22000 :-o

DSYKES5500

Here's a pic of mine in the sun today...  I'm confused!

20200810_112744.jpg

Tom Fenton

Take it to a paint shop and get them to mix to the car. There are usually a few shades of each colour.
It looks like Steel Grey to me, graphite is darker.

DSYKES5500

Tom, would Jessops be able to help?

DSYKES5500
13 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

Take it to a paint shop and get them to mix to the car. There are usually a few shades of each colour.
It looks like Steel Grey to me, graphite is darker.

Tom, would Jessops be able to help?

Tom Fenton

They would be able to match it if you wanted some paint work done, but won't sell you just the paint on its own, they use water based now anyway so its no good for the DIYer. They are booked up until back end of September when I spoke to Rick the other day, as I'm in the waiting list.

DSYKES5500
8 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

They would be able to match it if you wanted some paint work done, but won't sell you just the paint on its own, they use water based now anyway so its no good for the DIYer. They are booked up until back end of September when I spoke to Rick the other day, as I'm in the waiting list.

No worries. I'll have a trot down anyway as I need a quote from them to weld and paint my new rear bumper brackets and plate up and paint my bump stop brackets (they've dropped out they were so rusty) and fit the new cups and stops I've got. No rush so I'll get in the queue :) OK to mention that you recommended them?

welshpug

steel is the English name for gris magnum btw.

• Thanks 1

SRDT

Peugeot had more than one steel/magnum grey at the same time, the codes M0TA and M1TA are different shades.

• Thanks 1

DSYKES5500

Thanks everyone, I managed to find an original Peugeot Magnum Grey M1TA aerosol and I've had a Steel Grey M0TA one made up.  I've done a small repair on the sill this weekend, rust removal, stonechip back on and paint and tried the Magnum grey on it.  It was way too dark and had an almost greenish tinge to it.  I smoothed it down with wet and dry and the Steel Grey one is perfect and has blended in so you can't even tell.  Mystery solved!! :)

DSYKES5500

20200811_162506.jpg

DSYKES5500

OK, so it's definitely not Steel Grey :blink:

Although it would make a decent two tone combo :lol:

20200921_144902.jpg

Tom Fenton

I’d say it is steel grey, but expecting pre mixed colour to match the shade on your car is pissing in the wind.

• Haha 1

DSYKES5500

Sorted it! Peter at xtremeautoaccessories.co.uk knew exactly the dilemma I was having with the Magnum vs Steel problem. He re-made the paint and sent it over free of charge. I did it this weekend and the match is perfect. I've a bit of orange peel to remove but other than that it's spot on. It's definitely Magnum M1TA. It just looks so many different shades in different lighting it's untrue!

20201018_173558.jpg