• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Creating An Auxiliary Fuse Box...

bacardincoke

Touched on this elsewhere after deciding to hard wire in a dash cam.

Didn't want to be tapping into existing wires or pushing bundles up behind the dash, plus just fancied seeing if it could be done.

I've a 1989 Phase 1.5... I've seen the small strut top relay box pictured below in images taken of later cars, may well be on others too.

Just know mine didn't have it and the 2 x relays that lived near the same area in my engine bay were just screwed straight to the bulk head instead. 

Originally one of the relays had to be angled to fit in beside the expansion bottle, but that sorted itself when I did away with the dim-dip gubbins leaving only the horn relay on its own.

Picked up the relay box with its bracket for small change on eBay. It's a straight fit onto my car using the pre-existing bolts / holes etc.

Don't know if it was Peugeots intention, but my single relay attaches perfectly below an angled part of the bracket, it's almost too good a fit not to have been. Theres a cut out to accomodate the coolant pipe plus an arm you can attach a clip to for wiring etc.

The box is probably smaller than you'd image, finding a fuse bar that fitted turned out to be the tricky bit.

Amazon do the one I used, but you can get the same one elsewhere and likely cheaper too, but I didn't want to be waiting weeks for delivery from China.

Amazon.

The four fuse version is a good roomy fit, I looked at 6 and more but they all measured up to be too large.

You have to do away with the clear cover or else the box lid presses slightly on it, doesn't really matter as the box does that job now.

Simple job to screw / bolt it in. There's holes in the fuse bar already and plenty of room below the box to accomodate the nuts without rubbing.

The whole thing's close to the battery, running a postive feed between the two is simple... will probably use an in line fuse just for belt and braces purposes.

I've a non-standard grommet in the bulk head that comes out behind the glove box,... a previous owner had re-located the battery to the boot which I've since undone. Gives me good access into the cabin if I need it, you'll have to work your own out.

before.jpg

before1.jpg

inside box.jpg

under.jpg

inside box1.jpg

fitted1.jpg

fitted.jpg

relay.jpg

Edited by bacardincoke

bacardincoke

Apart from the dash-cam I'd plans for a few other extras, this being one as using the ciggy lighter socket to keep my phone charged was going to end up breaking something.

Pic's are self explanatory, used a spare tray so I could revert to the original.

The generic 12v socket came with a short fused loom and rubber cap of it's own, but I'd one from a long since gone Ford Focus in a drawer, thought it looked better.

Push in USB adapter and good to go.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 2

Andy

Very neat. Well done .

• Thanks 1

Richie-Van-GTi

Just wondering why you used a traditional cigarette lighter style socket instead of USB?

I'm toying with the idea of putting a power outlet in the boot for a chiller box when I go to the track on race weekends, wouldn't mind a usb socket up front as well, save having the ashtray open

bacardincoke

My phones got a fast charge feature... takes about 10 mins to get to 80%, but that's only with the correct plug.

You can still charge it through a standard USB, but takes quite a bit longer. If it weren't for that I'd probably have gone for the build in USB type.