• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
keeperlit

Cut and replace roof section?

keeperlit

Having some issues with the old tin-worm in my 89 GTi6 - seems to have gone from the B pillar tops along the roof line, looks bad both sides:

1046060513_205roofrust.thumb.jpg.42b975f709e662440e3fbeb4aab0dffb.jpg

I've got the option of this late diesel shell for £100, and it looks like I can use those same sections. Should I even consider doing this?

116155474_973795623093553_2266888622573875387_n.thumb.jpg.2e8c5e7da8e2fb82f12167305860262c.jpg819209257_205shellos.thumb.jpg.a2148f47deded0ffdfbdd947060fd4f0.jpg292738108_205shellns.thumb.jpg.3bf9101c52beba800eda24b55b119a8f.jpg

Philpooma

My personal opinion, as long as you have found a competent welder then there is no reason why you cant cut out and replace these sections. You also need to ensure that you can effectively protect the inside of the repair sections after welding, otherwise you will find that the newely welded sections will rust through quickly.

All I would caution, is that you carefully check the rest of the car for hidden corrosion.

No point in spending out on welding and the inevitable repaint if the rest of the shell is rotten.

Once you start finding and repairing rust “properly “  it tends to get very expensive.

keeperlit
1 hour ago, Philpooma said:

My personal opinion, as long as you have found a competent welder then there is no reason why you cant cut out and replace these sections. You also need to ensure that you can effectively protect the inside of the repair sections after welding, otherwise you will find that the newely welded sections will rust through quickly.

All I would caution, is that you carefully check the rest of the car for hidden corrosion.

No point in spending out on welding and the inevitable repaint if the rest of the shell is rotten.

Once you start finding and repairing rust “properly “  it tends to get very expensive.

Thanks for that. There are old repairs which may need attention, along with new places I haven't thought of - I guess this is inevitable.

I keep thinking about a re-shell, but surely no (reasonably priced) shell at this point will be rust-free? The shell above is cheap and local, and looks very useful for cutting bits out of (excluding the bad bits obvs).

Philpooma

I bought a “rust free” shell as a donor for parts on a previous project I completed. The shell was very good, but not totally rust free. You also have to remember that if you re shell the car, its not the same car anymore and this could affect its value.

My advise after doing a few 205 projects is to start a project with the best shell that you can, once you start cutting and welding it gets expensive (unless you can do it yourself), its generally better to buy a good car in the first place, than restore a bad one. 
You can often end up spending over a period Of time as much on a tatty one than if you had bought a good one in the forst place.

However if you have not paid alot for your car, then you have more scope for spending on it and not wasting your money.

This is just my personal opinion, good luck whatever you decide :D

keeperlit

My car has already been re-shelled back in the day so I'm not going to lose anything by a second re-shell.

There still seem to be a few good 3dr diesels about - something like that would be ideal, but will always required some level of tidying - ideally working upwards from a straight, bare shell.

With a lot of practice, I could probably do the job with my MIG. I've already done some fairly rough patch welding in the front arches (still solid though :) ). I would be wary of doing anything major though, and I have a great welder friend who doesn't charge the earth.

Philpooma
3 hours ago, keeperlit said:

My car has already been re-shelled back in the day so I'm not going to lose anything by a second re-shell.

There still seem to be a few good 3dr diesels about - something like that would be ideal, but will always required some level of tidying - ideally working upwards from a straight, bare shell.

With a lot of practice, I could probably do the job with my MIG. I've already done some fairly rough patch welding in the front arches (still solid though :) ). I would be wary of doing anything major though, and I have a great welder friend who doesn't charge the earth.

Sounds like you have a plan forming there Keith.

Take a look at the shells available, compare them to yours and then make a call 

keeperlit

Anyone re-shelled with a French 3dr diesel? Looking around they seem good value for money and good selection on FB marketplace.....