• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

DSYKES5500

Spare wheel cage colour

DSYKES5500

Does anyone know if the spare wheel cage was originally body coloured or black?  Mine is rusty brown so I can't tell :D

Ozymandis

Body colour.

• Thanks 1

DSYKES5500

Thanks!

sp_en_ny

Mine is black but body is red. Whether someone changed it prior to my ownership I have no idea.

Ozymandis

My white car has a white one, my green car a green one ,my black car a black one, both light blue cars have a light blue ones, my miami blue car has a miami blue one , my metallic grey car has a metallic grey one, and the silver car has a silver one. They are body coloured ( all are post 1990 cars )

Tom Fenton

Agree body colour. If it’s black it’s probably a replacement as that’s how Peugeot supplied them. It was common in the 80’s/90’s for the robbing c*nt type to chop the cage with boot croppers and steal the spare wheel. 

jackherer
On 8/2/2020 at 8:29 PM, Tom Fenton said:

It was common in the 80’s/90’s for the robbing c*nt type to chop the cage with boot croppers and steal the spare wheel. 

I had a courier delivering something a while ago who saw my 205s then told me all about how he used to go out "back in the day" and steal four 1.9 wheels in an evening to sell as a set, for some reason he seemed to think I'd be impressed. He said they were normally under inflated enough that he just had to push the bar up and then unhook it, no need to cut anything.

Peugeot dealers used to sell a kit to make it more secure, IIRC it was basically a metal plate under the boot carpet and a large bolt coming up through the wheel centre bore that needed to be undone inside the car. Also it had a sticker to go on the rear valence to warn thieves. I think it meant you had to remove anything you had in the boot if you needed to use the spare which can sometimes be very inconvenient and ultimately it probably led to some prematurely rotten boot floors.

FWIW I think the spare wheel holder looks better in black so it blends in with the tyre and doesn't stand out when viewed from the back of the car.

205Rallee

A friend was clearing out a relatives garage last year and he gave me a carrier bag with 16 brand new chrome 205 bolts, a set of Peugeot locking studs and a brand new boxed Peugeot spare wheel underfloor lock thingy with the warning sticker. An interesting gift but I don’t think I’ll be drilling holes in the boot floor, especially as no one would even want to steal a 1.9 wheel  these days.

Edited by 205Rallee