• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ozymandis

Ball Joint boots

Ozymandis

Can anyone recommend a source for good quality long lasting ball joint boots please?

I fumbled and dropped a new TRW wishbone onto concrete and split the boot.

All the boots I used in the past have been rubbish and deteriorated quickly. One set whilst a car was being rebuilt over a year, cracked and split without even being used.

Im now kicking myself.

Ozymandis

I got some small and medium ones of this fleabay brand to see if they're any use.

Hopefully I wont add to this post for a good few years, but I doubt it.

s-l500.jpg

Tom Fenton

Have you tried superglue on the trw boot?

Ozymandis

No, but I tried it before on a cv boot that was cut and it didnt last very long.

I have robbed one off another wishbone for now.

Ozymandis

A follow up to this DO NOT BUY the boots illustrated, yes they have degraded very badly on unused wishbones whilst in storage, they are Shtie!

Ozymandis

I`m trying these Meyle ones for Volkswagens, they are the only branded ones I can find anywhere. I wouldnt normally use Meyle anything except their Berlingo HD droplinks.

357-407-375 part No

They claim to be German manufactured so I`m hoping they are at least the correct elastomer unlike the balljointboots.co rubbish. Those split within a year of fitting to a mint car which did 1 1/2 miles to and from  the MOT.

Hopefully i will report back in a few years.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Leslie green

Think I will need some of these my balljoints seemed ok on a brief check but boots are split 

Ozymandis

The Meyle ones are an exact fit, use the smallest clip for the top hole and the largest clip for the bottom they fit perfectly.

The materials twice as thick as the generic balljoints.co shtie, those cracked and split badly without being used.

They have, supposed, user feedback on their site extolling their many many years durability, its bollocks.

Edited by Ozymandis
  • Thanks 1

Spesh

Where did you source them from?  I don't need any but want to get some for the spare parts bin as I'll need some for sure in the future

Tideee
Ozymandis
3 hours ago, Spesh said:

Where did you source them from?  I don't need any but want to get some for the spare parts bin as I'll need some for sure in the future

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=boot&model_model=Golf Mk2       

I got a single one to try, the last rubbish ones I bought a bag of, that was a waste of money.

The track rod end ones on that page, look to fit  a 205 track rod end, i will fit one and see how that lasts.

Edited by Ozymandis
  • Thanks 1