• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Oil Filters...

bacardincoke

Plenty of articles old and new, and I feel like I've read most of them - However lots of opinions / conflicting and potentially now outdated info. as well... so want to check my understanding is near the mark.

Will be relating to a 1989 Phase 1.5, 1.9 GTI - Standard everything.

Servicebox states 1109 N2 - Purflux (their own alternative number LS 867B) is the OE choice.

This part number and spec. has been superceded over the years by later filters that are still marked 1109 but with various different letters in place of N2 eg. AL ?

The N2 filter was intended for 6000 mile service intervals, later 1109 ** variants have improved filtration to allow for longer 10000 intervals and are made by a different company?

Purflux have a greater filtration surface area (because of internal pleats in the material) than do later versions?

There's no advantage to longer life filters if you intend to change the oil every 6000 / 6 months, infact could you argue the Purflux is a the better choice in those circumstances if it has a greater filtration area?

1109 N2 is a Peugeot branded LS 867B and identical otherwise?

My searching shows 1109 N2 can still be found, but LS 867B is much more plentiful.

I ask as I intend to keep a small stock and change the oil frequently, getting several of the wrong filter could be expensive - Cheers.

Tom Fenton

The XU engine is a traditional beast, there is nothing remotely fancy about it. Do not overthink things. Buy plenty of filters and change them frequently with the correct spec oil. That is more important than sweating the minor details between filter types. These cars should never even get close to the point of the filter becoming clogged with the relatively low miles they will cover. In my opinion it doesn't really matter what filter you fit to an 8v engine. The 16v are different and need the correct Peugeot filter with the anti drain back feature to stop the top end clattering on start up.

If you are really serious about engine condition Millers Oil will for £20 a go analyse a sample of your used engine oil and give a full report on analysis, water content, fuel content, wear metals, etc etc. In my opinion good value for what they are doing but would I use it on my 205, no probably not. Will I use it on my M5, due to the relative complexity and known wear patterns, yes.

bacardincoke

In addition to driving them, a big part of the appeal of an old car for me is how they work, building up knowledge is part of the fun. 

Car's hopefully a keeper and as I'm lucky enough not to rely on her as my daily I can enjoy getting myself into the detail, even it's not always essential.

Had a look at the Miller site... like you say, does seem to be a very reasonable price for what it is - that's the sort of thing that appeals to me also, likely be doing it, cheers.