• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary C

Steering is wrong!

Gary C

I'm sure this subject has probably been done to death but

I have just bought  a 1990 205 gti 1.9

it has had a quafe LSD fitted, 309 gti drive shafts, 309 gti lower arms, 309 gti anti roll bar, new anti roll bar links, Gaz coil overs, new track rod ends .

New rear beam, new bearings, seals and bushes, and gaz adjustable dampers.

However the steering and handling is appalling, especially at low speed, as in turning off of my drive, or parking, it clunks, tries to pull the steering wheel out of your hand on lock, sounds like somethings lose ( it isnt).

I wouldn't dare drive it at speed to be honest, it just doesn't feel safe, its vague, you don't feel properly connected in any way.

Ideas folks?

Tom Fenton

Oval front hubs would be the first place I would look. Where the pinch bolt arrangement clamps to the wishbone ball joint.

Gary C
10 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

Oval front hubs would be the first place I would look. Where the pinch bolt arrangement clamps to the wishbone ball joint.

Thanks for that, yeah I thought it might be hubs, new hubs if thats the case then?

Ozymandis

If it is, they can be sleeved , Bridgecraft in Derbyshire can do it ,ask Allen Allen on here.

23 minutes ago, Gary C said:

Thanks for that, yeah I thought it might be hubs, new hubs if thats the case then?

wicked

2nd thought; too long LH 309 driveshaft, having no clearance on tight corners and hitting the diff?

Edited by wicked

Gary C
2 hours ago, wicked said:

2nd thought; too long LH 309 driveshaft, having no clearance on tight corners and hitting the diff?

Thank you I will also mention that to the guys.

I am taking it to Pug1off on Friday, hopefully they can sort it out.