• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Wallypug205

Temperature and wiring

Wallypug205

Hi all I had the car going for a while and it started to over heat, the water started to come out the bottle from the over flow, so I decided to change the cap which was broken and the issue carried on, since then have replaced the thermostat. The fan kicks in intermittently. Is it worthwhile draining the system and starting afresh or is it a simple relay that needs to be fixed to sort the fan out?  Secondly the wiring in the engine bay 37A5BBD7-81CB-44F2-9548-16EDA994CD55.thumb.jpeg.558bc330d141cb9cd299008e0d4a3994.jpegis ridiculous there any way I can tidy it up or can anyone recommend me someone? 

mmt

If the fan is on and it shoots water out it sounds like the engine is hot.

Check for water flow to see if the water pump works.

Check for air in the system. 

Check the thermostat to see if it is stuck closed. 

I’ve never experienced a clogged radiator. Last resort is to change it I Would say. 

dcc

Compression test / sniffer test would be my first point of call.

if you want to make it look neater, spend some time in there yourself, clean everything and run the wiring properly. they werent exactly the best looking engine bay from factory!

Zetec7

Looking neater!!! 1st get rid of the 2 hoses that go to the throttle body by taking the overflow 1 direct to the thermostat housing.  That's a start and there's a long way to go.

PhilNW

1 - Try disconnecting the connector on the radiator temp switch and Jump a wire across  to make the fan run constantly and see what happens when it warms up, it may be the switch and/or wiring

2 - Take the thermostat out and run the car until full temp is reached (it will take a while) and again see what happens, if you still get water out of the overflow it may be looking at head gasket/cracked head/blocked radiator or similar, followed by sniffer test to confirm

Edited by PhilNW

SootySport

As in 1 above.  Loop the blue and white wire on the radiator sensor for a constant fan.  Just had this problem myself.    Also bleed the air from the pipe work with the rad cap off for five minutes. All that was wrong with mine, was corrode loom plugs in the fan circuit and air lock in the pipes.

Wallypug205

What’s the easiest way to take the air out of the system? I got it started but sounded like there was a lot of air in the system it’s on my other thread with a video any help/advice given would be awesome 

welshpug

open the 3 bleed nipples and close each one as coolant starts to flow out of them.

PhilNW

Have you tried the suggestions above?

Are you constantly getting small bubbles of air out of the system  or is it boiling the water?

Could not get the video to work on the other thread

Edited by PhilNW

jackherer

205 GTI coolant systems are really easy to bleed, trapped air is rarely a problem.

Looking through this thread it sounds like you might have a head gasket issue, I'd suggest a compression test and/or a coolant sniffer test next as already suggested by @dcc a month ago.

Wallypug205
On 8/21/2020 at 11:56 AM, PhilNW said:

Have you tried the suggestions above?

Are you constantly getting small bubbles of air out of the system  or is it boiling the water?

Could not get the video to work on the other thread

Constant getting small bubbles of air and is hot?