• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Philip

How can I tell if my rear brake pressure regulator valves are working ?

Philip

Swapping all the brake lines and flexi’s for new , pressure regulator things are off the car and on the bench , but rusty on the outside but the inside looks good, the internal threads and the face the pipe seats on are both as new. 

Car has be in dry storage for last 10 year’s , all the pipes and fittings are badly corroded. Is there a way to tell if the compensator is okay before I put it back on the car don’t really want to have to fit it get to the MOT station and find out I should’ve swapped it. 

whatever is inside it appears to be in the open position as you can blow through from both ends , not really sure what Is inside Or how it works so not sure if this is a good or a bad thing

thanks 

welshpug

you could hook it up to a master cylinder and a caliper with a pressure gauge, from memory the 205 valves are rated at a 20 bar knee point, i.e they will ramp up to 20 bar then flatline

Philip
On 7/10/2020 at 11:14 AM, welshpug said:

you could hook it up to a master cylinder and a caliper with a pressure gauge, from memory the 205 valves are rated at a 20 bar knee point, i.e they will ramp up to 20 bar then flatline

What do they do actually ?  Do they restrict the flow of fluid to the rear or completely block it until a certain pressure is applied to the pedal?

Or do they step down the pressure so less force is applied ot the rear pads than the front ??

All the above are guesses

Thanks

boldy205

As they are off the car already I think id just replace them,l. They are a common item to break down. I presume they are still easily obtainable.

Matt

Philip
1 hour ago, boldy205 said:

As they are off the car already I think id just replace them,l. They are a common item to break down. I presume they are still easily obtainable.

Matt

£100 a pair !!!

hoping not to replace if I don’t have to

Leslie green

I guess its just a ball and spring inside not much to go wrong really ,if they have been in fluid they should be ok 

Ozymandis

Soak them in some meths and give em a good shaking about with clean meths, blow air through and that's all You can really do, make sure theres no crap in them.

They fail, because of old /contaminated fluid causing internal corrosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pa8J2V67rA

• Like 1