• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

td_w

Power steering on 1.9 thoughts/advice

td_w

Hey all, I got a power steering set up in a box with my car as the previous owner was going to fit it - its a track car and he suggested it was a good upgrade.

Here are some photos, I am not even sure what car it is from or how it fits. Two queries I hope you can help with:

1. Is it worth fitting - will it make my 1.9 GTI 'better' on track

2. If not then how much is it worth, cannot see any for sale on here or eBay, or just general searching

Thanks all!d287f05d-ad3f-4598-b178-c45642f39455.thumb.jpg.85029a2490b615a85f2ab4948eb06d46.jpg4d6ff10e-be50-41bb-95ca-da5dfb257d30.thumb.jpg.04e7fca29e2e72471d41292312d50fc0.jpg497512032_WhatsAppImage2020-07-06at16_28_47.thumb.jpeg.4dd37403bc93dafbb73ac2e6aa48c3b6.jpeg

a4b55554-c38d-4d23-8ab9-ae03a4849a79.jpg

jackherer

That's a 106 GTI / Saxo VTS electrical PAS pump.

You'll need a custom high pressure hose to fit it to a 205. And you'll need a PAS rack with ram if you don't have those fitted already.

td_w
18 hours ago, jackherer said:

That's a 106 GTI / Saxo VTS electrical PAS pump.

You'll need a custom high pressure hose to fit it to a 205. And you'll need a PAS rack with ram if you don't have those fitted already.

Thanks, great info - sounds too involved for me. I will try and sell it on eBay, thanks again for info.

petert

A standard non-pas rack is very ordinary on the track. There's soooo many turns lock to lock. Upgrading to a GTi PAS rack reduces the ratio from 3.7 to around 3.2 from memory. A better upgrade is what we call an Si rack, with 2.7 turns and the ultimate is the early Xsara rack with just 2.4 turns. Once you've had PAS with a quick rack you'll never go back. Fitting an electric pump is an easy option to make it all happen. The most popular over here are the Holden Astra and A -Class Mercedes pumps.

• Like 1

jackherer
1 hour ago, petert said:

Once you've had PAS with a quick rack you'll never go back.

It's true, standard steering feels like driving a tractor now.

welshpug

having driven mid 2000's gm and vag stuff for a while it was quite a surprise getting into a worn out 1.6 recently!

so much arm twirling yet so stiff and clunky and wandery :wacko::blink::lol:

I would definitely get it fitted, its not a lot of work at all.

• Like 1

td_w

Great ok thanks guys, now I really want it... so I need to find a Xsara PAS rack?!?!! Do I try and buy new?!?!? 

Thanks all!

welshpug

you wont find one new, model specific and almost 20 years out of production!

even a 306 rack or an original 205 pas rack would be better than a manual one.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

PAS is a big improvement on a 205. Don’t listen to anyone who says the manual has more “feel”. The manual rack and in particular it’s ratio is one of the things Peugeot dropped the ball with IMO.

• Like 1

td_w

Noted!

welshpug
5 hours ago, td_w said:

Something like this?

https://bit.ly/31W9C6x

exactly like that, though preferably one with intact pipes not ones that have been hacked off!   I would personally rather go and get one off a car in person so you can inspect it first, and get the pipes, also some pipes from a saxo or 106 and have a hydraulics place to mate the two.

petert

If the 306 rack fits, then that one is perfect. You only need the ends of the pipes. The pressure circuit will need to be a new custom -8 hose. You’ll need to braze a fitting onto the pipe. The return can be flexible hose all the way back to the electric pump.

Tom Fenton

The 306 rack is the same as the Xsara rack, all you need to do is fit 205 track rods, they are shorter than the 306 ones, screw straight on. Cheap enough to buy new.

• Like 1

DamirGTI

Totally agreed with what's been said and absolutely worth the effort/money ... try PAS rack (ideally one of the quick/short ratios) and you'll never go back to manual one .

I did few conversion for my mates with 2.7/2.6 ZX/Xsara racks and luckily , after a bit of digging , found for myself 2.4 rack from Ph1 Xsara VTS .. dare to say it might be one of the best mods for the 205 .. it's so much nicer to drive with short PAS rack literary transforms the car , just fun-fun !!

As for the PAS piping and pump (mechanical) , see if there's any 405's left at the scrapyards ... even some of the bog standard models with carb XU's had PAS (and some AC too ..) , if you find any , all the PAS system except the rack (rack is different on a 405) fits directly on the 205  ... so all the PAS pipework , pump , pump mounts , only the fluid reservoir is a bit big/thick so use 306 item/reservoir instead .

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

petert

My next mod is a manual 2.1 rack with epas. Stay tuned.

SRDT
15 hours ago, petert said:

My next mod is a manual 2.1 rack with epas. Stay tuned.

I think I know the trick behind this 2.1 rack...

barneys66

What ratio is a standard 306 rack?  Depending on what that is, as you're going to all the effort anyway, might be worth persevering for a Xsara VTS rack with 2.7 / 2.4.

As for the pressure hose, I had a local supplier make up a length with compression fittings at either end and just used the offcuts from the Xsara:

37051887415_75ceb32fd8_c.jpg

• Like 1

Type-R

You'll struggle to find a Xsara rack these days, though the 308 used a 2.75 turn rack and the pinions appear to be a similar design, so possibly interchangeable.

td_w

I am gonna try and work it out, as I have the 106 electric pump and can buy a hopefully decent rack with ram from 306 for not much money it could be a great low cost mega upgrade.

Thanks for all the help, anything else I should know let me know!

Cheers

jackherer

You might need a new lower steering column too depending on the one you have currently. They can have either a splined or a square fitting onto the pinion.

barneys66
19 hours ago, Type-R said:

You'll struggle to find a Xsara rack these days, though the 308 used a 2.75 turn rack and the pinions appear to be a similar design, so possibly interchangeable.

Always worth a wanted ad - you never know what's lurking.. 

Interesting suggestion on the 308 though - that would open up a nice supply!

td_w

Still gonna do this but want to sort out a few other things first

joris_andriesse

Hi all,

I found a new xsara vts ph1 pas steeringrack, but to me it seems that the pinion doesn't have splines. 
So I recon that isn't going to work as-is, how/can should this be solved?

image.png.dd4124a8302da8c73999066e2c0d1bfb.png

SweetBadger

A new one wow, where did you find that! Erm sell it to me :D

You need the 205 Gti non-pas square drive lower universal joint. This will fit, however it's about 10mm too long so if you use it unmodified it pushes the steering wheel towards the driver and you'll lose the self cancelling indicators.

To solve this I simply extended the flat sections that go into the upper column UJ by about 10mm (by using grinder / file), then chopped off about 10mm from the top. Job done.

Edited by SweetBadger