• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

Coin Tray Base - Reproduction

ALEX

Now with Lid!

Still to print a lid. might be a bit too difficult to print but we'll see.

Coin Tray Assy - Rev 0.1-closed.JPG

Coin Tray Assy - Rev 0.1-open.JPG

• Like 3

series111

Awesome work

• Like 1

Kenny Han

A lid is what I'm waiting for

• Like 1

ALEX
6 hours ago, Nobby21 said:

Yes I'd be up for one too...

Stil not had chance to print a lid yet but I'll keep the project updated when I get around to it.

On another note the small batch of test springs arrived and they fit perfectly.

So If anyone is wanting one let me know. Forum members the price is £30 Delivered (Uk Postage).

black with spring.jpg

Grey with spring.jpg

ALEX

First test print of the lid in PLA.

Looks good but still needs a little work. 

Fitment is very tight as the PLA doesn't flex that much but I'm hoping PETG will be better. 

20200730_213318.jpg

20200730_213304.jpg

Brilliant ill be having one of these !- can you do 309 Glovebox catch for your next project! LOL

ALEX

The complete tray isn't quite ready yet.  (Give me a few days).  But as the lid takes almost as long as the base to print (10 hours) it's a two day job per complete tray, so it will be a little bit dearer than the base alone. 

ALEX

With the hottest day we had for some time I thought I'd do some product testing to see if PLA prints would survive in the car on hot days. I placed the PLA printed lid in the missus car in the sun on the dash for 2 hours, see photo.....

So It's a No then lol.

A new roll of PETG arrived this morning (what I printed the bases out of). From what I've read online it should withstand hot days in the car.

Down side is the finish isn't quite as good as PLA also takes much longer to print.

I'll post up the results soon.

20200807_170433.jpg

ALEX

So While waiting for the roll of black PETG to arrive I printed a grey PETG one. I had no idea what shade of grey I would get but it is a bit lighter than the pase 1.5 grey shown in the photos.

I did the inside anthracite flock and Ill try it in my phase 1.5 grey dash tomorrow and post up a pic installed.

Still no complete black cointrays yet, but wont be long now.

For anyone wanting one, complete trays (base & lid assembled, flocked with new clicker and spring) will be £45 posted for forum members.

Or if you want a matching little triangle that sits above the cointray aswel it will be £50 posted.

Please send me a PM if your interested.

1958107157_greytop.thumb.jpg.36a3e8741890048a8ef7320767f8eed5.jpg275484877_greyinside.thumb.jpg.7d6431471f94e6b7fb286235cbfa135a.jpg

Edited by ALEX

ALEX

So the Grey is too light to match the phase 1.5 grey..  obviously.  But what are your thoughts?20200809_122417.thumb.jpg.a7c1d1bf70d1c14ef2d91864c99ce11a.jpg

Noticed a few problems with the complete tray assembly so still a little way to go.

Got the small triangle printed in good quality PETG tho. Looks good and fits perfectly. 

20200809_103540.thumb.jpg.8af8187a483d45777ecd469e47c828f9.jpg

ALEX

Complete cointray assembly made from black PETG shown in a phase 1.5 grey dash.

515724152_blackassyclosed.thumb.jpg.fe55997d157a1657115adb4ee2cb3ac1.jpg

146902433_blackassyopen.thumb.jpg.a304287a8e4ba75f4aaf69d03d21a8af.jpg

stuart_knight6

These look really good, great to see 3d printing being used to re-create no longer available parts. 

I have a Prusa i3V printer here at home, but not got round to printing anything useful. 

I could do with a coin tray spring though if you know the sizes....

ALEX
1 hour ago, stuart_knight6 said:

These look really good, great to see 3d printing being used to re-create no longer available parts. 

I have a Prusa i3V printer here at home, but not got round to printing anything useful. 

Chances are if you are missing the spring the groove it sits in has worn through, or more obviously the hanger has snapped off. 

As said too much time and money has gone into this project to hand out STL files for free.  Sorry.

stuart_knight6
On 8/11/2020 at 5:06 PM, ALEX said:

Chances are if you are missing the spring the groove it sits in has worn through, or more obviously the hanger has snapped off. 

As said too much time and money has gone into this project to hand out STL files for free.  Sorry.

I think you're about the spring groove. 

Wasn't looking for a file, I know how long it takes! I'm a CATIA and NX designer by trade

Good work

Nobby21

Are the lids available yet??? mine has just broken this week...

ALEX
2 hours ago, Nobby21 said:

Are the lids available yet??? mine has just broken this week...

PM sent

ALEX

For those interested. Here's the reason for the delay on the availability of the trays.

The cura default supports waste a load of plastic and looked messy so decided to make my own.

The tray design has also been improved..again

supports.thumb.jpg.74059134a342fcea764f47155b808d65.jpg

• Like 2

Gohn

Geez, that's awesome to see! great work

especially encouraging cause the dash on all the australian 205's makes like a violet and crumbles after 20 odd years in the brutal summers/UV conditions

your cosmetic improvements are good, only I'd settle for a dash that was actually structurally sound.

the australian sun is like a slow motion lump hammer, with timelapse before your very eyes while you breath shallow you will see it disintegrate

all of the fixing points break off and the individual pieces crack into ever smaller and smaller pieces

I would like to offer my sincere encouragement to do the whole centre console (fascia and subframe too) across to the drivers binnacle

I'd pay several hundred for that in glass filled nylon, polycarb, PETG or whatever PLA is, and you can hold me to that

• Like 1

ALEX
On 8/31/2020 at 12:30 PM, Gohn said:

Geez, that's awesome to see! great work

especially encouraging cause the dash on all the australian 205's makes like a violet and crumbles after 20 odd years in the brutal summers/UV conditions

your cosmetic improvements are good, only I'd settle for a dash that was actually structurally sound.

the australian sun is like a slow motion lump hammer, with timelapse before your very eyes while you breath shallow you will see it disintegrate

all of the fixing points break off and the individual pieces crack into ever smaller and smaller pieces

I would like to offer my sincere encouragement to do the whole centre console (fascia and subframe too) across to the drivers binnacle

I'd pay several hundred for that in glass filled nylon, polycarb, PETG or whatever PLA is, and you can hold me to that

PETG seems to be at the limit of what Im capable of on the CR10 printer. I haven't tested the PETG one in the car on a hot day (as the weather has been s*it here lateley) but I've read its good for upto 80°C before going soft whereas PLA goes soft at around 50°C. I used my laser thermometer and it measured 53°C on the melted PLA one above, and Its was about as hot I've experianced it in a car here in the UK with the windows up.

I like the idea of a full dash cad model, printing it would be a challenge though.. would probably need to be in pieces and glued together as my print bed is only 300mm (1ft) square, though larger printers are available.

If I ever get bored enough it might happen one day, but its probably unlikley as work seems to be picking up. Is Covid19 pandemic over?.. I bloody hope so! :-b

Complete tray assemblies are available on ebay, As I get raped by ebays commission I'm selling these at £45 posted complete with the little trianlge. Just send me a PM if youre interested.

Edited by ALEX

ALEX
On 8/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, stuart_knight6 said:

Sorry for the delay.

Wire dia 0.8mm
Outer dia 5mm
Coils 5
Arm length 22mm longest /15mm shortest
Angle 145 deg.

spring angle.jpg

Phil GTI-6

I could do with a coin tray spring too. 

idoari

Do you print LHD trays too?

bacardincoke

Posted earlier that I got one of these back in June / July... Quick update to say it's still working perfectly. Regularly used and fit / finish remain like new.