• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

Coin Tray Base - Reproduction

ALEX

So after spending a couple of days modeling this tw*t of a shape in Solidworks and tweaking it to improve the strength in the area that normally fails around the spring, I've finally got a design that is almost finished.

Just printing one now in PETG as PLA is like gold dust at the min (or if your prepared to pay 3 times the price) also PETG is stronger than PLA.

After spending so long on this, It's not likely ill be giving the design away for free on thiniverse I'm afraid, but anyone who is interested in having one I'd like to here how much would they pay for something like this as I'm still figuring out how much it's costing me.

I plan on supplying the lower part with the clip & torsion spring and finished in a flocked coating. I Hope to reach a standard unmistakable as a factory part... But I need some time on that part yet.

lower part 1.JPG

lower part 2.JPG

lower part 3.JPG

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Be genuinely interested, but as to the price I'd be willing to pay that's another thing... that'll be the decider.

ALEX

Its a 10 hour + print at the minute but looking in to reducing it to 7 ish.

I'm hoping to use PETG rather than PLA for the strength and durability, but I'm having a hard time with the settings on my CR10 to reduce the stringing. cost of a roll of PETG is currently £17 per kg.

I rekon I could get about 15- 20 from a roll depending on fails.

Clips will be these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323766128654

custom springs are available at about £1 each at batch cost.

Flocking kit is about £18, but I dont know how much I'll need per tray yet.

There's also costs of printer maintenance and other consumables and also I'd like something for my effort.

Would £30 per tray be reasonable?

note Id be only selling these if I can get the production to a high standard.

ALEX

Also on another note, now I have the shape of the base, would anyone (particularly the rally scene)  be interested in a hole for a guage in there?

It certainy would be cheaper too as a single clip in item.

MrStock

Looks good im interested

• Like 1

lightflow

Yes £30 is very reasonable. I would most definitely be interested. That Sir, looks like an amazing effort.

• Like 1

ALEX

After 15 design Revisions and 3 protoype prints, See the latest results.

I still have some work to go yet, mainly on print settings as a hinge broke off, but I'm confident I can get is as strong as the original.

1060335109_FlockedMK3rev15.thumb.jpg.b842554719c82d9782f11a5d7d33cc96.jpg

1807377786_UndersideMk3rev15.thumb.jpg.b1f483bf0e901e2ef02bc4640373c304.jpg

farmer

Just remember if anybody asks they are sided for us and our Euro friends

ALEX
5 minutes ago, farmer said:

Just remember if anybody asks they are sided for us and our Euro friends

I have noticed the LHD version is opposite hand. Thanks for reminding me tho.

TBH Mirroring the design is a piece of cake, providing the dash that it clips into is a exact mirror too then it should be easy to make the other hand.

laser green 1.9

I'm intrested in one, looks like a great project.

Atlaskrukvaxt

I studied materials and manufacturing at university, graduated last month actually. I'd be willing to help you with some of the printing/parameter optimisation if you are interested. No need to pay me ofc, I do it for fun.

Best wishes.

T.

Edited by Atlaskrukvaxt

Canadian dave

I would be happy to pay 30quid for one. Would you be printing the lid to, and selling them as a complete ready to install coin tray?

ALEX
3 hours ago, Canadian dave said:

I would be happy to pay 30quid for one. Would you be printing the lid to, and selling them as a complete ready to install coin tray?

Wasn't sure about the lid but I have made a start on it. Printing one tho' the finish wouldn't match the texture of the surround. Most have a good lid anyway as the part that often fails is the tray. The spring wears through the groove or the hinges snap off. If I did a complete tray with lid I'd probably increase the diameter of the hinge to make it stronger.

9 hours ago, Atlaskrukvaxt said:

I studied materials and manufacturing at university, graduated last month actually. I'd be willing to help you with some of the printing/parameter optimisation if you are interested. No need to pay me ofc, I do it for fun.

Best wishes.

T.

I could print perfectly fine with PLA and it'll be plenty strong enough, but i was worried on how long it would last before it deteriorated.

Getting better results with PETG now. I had the temp a bit low also changed the orientation of the print so the Z axis layers are length ways on the hinge pins and not formed like a stack of pancakes. Still getting a bit of stringing no matter what retraction setting I use and this does cause the odd blob or zit but the flocking covers any imperfections.

ALEX

Latest print fresh from the printer.

Note the print layer grain.  Much stronger than the previous one in the background. 

Ive still a few minor tweaks to the design to do,  but Im making good progress on this.

20200710_085411.jpg

Edited by ALEX

welshpug

they don't appear to be flocked like the originals, there's a company in the midlands we use to Flock the trays we make at work for Morgan Cars.

• Like 1

ALEX

2 hours ago, welshpug said:

they don't appear to be flocked like the originals, there's a company in the midlands we use to Flock the trays we make at work for Morgan Cars.

What coulour is the factory flock? I can't remember what mine was as I washed of the remnants ages ago. 

Ive gone for Anthracite which is a very dark grey. This matches my Phase 1.5 Gray dash quite well, but black is also available.

Finished results below.

Still a few minor tweks and I should have a few readyfor those interested, also still trying to source the spring.

20200712_115350.jpg

20200712_115954.jpg

jackherer

That flocking looks too light to me, I think the black flock would probably be closer to the original.

lightflow

Yes the flocking should indeed be jet black and perhaps finer in its grain? I did get my original re-flocked and its a perfect original match, but my original still has some damage (which I repaired) but would love to get one of yours if the flocking can i is made to look correct.

ALEX
5 hours ago, jackherer said:

That flocking looks too light to me, I think the black flock would probably be closer to the original.

3 hours ago, lightflow said:

Yes the flocking should indeed be jet black and perhaps finer in its grain? I did get my original re-flocked and its a perfect original match, but my original still has some damage (which I repaired) but would love to get one of yours if the flocking can i is made to look correct.

Cool. I'll get some back then.

I'll offer as an option as I personally prefer the anthracite with the phase 1.5 grey. Tbh the photos make it look a little lighter than it is.

ALEX

If anyone would like one of these then send me a PM.

I'm currently unable to supply the spring as of yet but the tray will be 3D printed in black PETG and provided flocked either anthracite or black (as above) with a new clicker. These are currently for RHD 205's only, (I plan on doing the LHD version at some point, but I'd probably need a tester to try it for me.)

If you need the spring then it is probably best to wait as I'm still trying to source them.

I have a small batch of springs on order from China, then I need to check those to order a bigger batch.  But as things are at the minute it might not be until next year before I get the springs sorted.

The price will remain the same with/without the spring at £30 delivered (UK postage).

Also please note, depending on demand for these there could be a delay as I only have one printer and its a 12 hour print, After seeing completly broken ones on ebay going for ridiculous prices, Im thinking these might be in demand.

If anyone who is up for modeling and 3d printing their own then I'd certainly be interested in seeing it as I found this quite a challenge.

Edited by ALEX

ALEX

Picture below shows black in the phase 1.5 Grey dash.

ebay black - 5.jpg

bacardincoke

I hope Alex doesn't mind me posting up a few pics... I got one of these a few days ago and am more than pleased with it.

Perfect fit, installs exactly like the original and easily accepts the genuine lid.

I went for the grey flock... having a Phase 1.5 I think it makes it look even more factory than black, despite that being the proper colour.

I've intentionally been giving it plenty of use and absolutely no issues... works fluidly and feels very sturdy / built to last.

Tray.jpg

tray1.jpg

tray2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1