• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SootySport

Tachymetric relay

SootySport

Is this it? Mounted on the metal plate in centre of the photo.

Im looking for 12v thats supposed to feed the fuel pump, not getting 12v at fuse 14.  Chassis -ve connection ok at fuel pump.  Haynes diagram shows wire 76 going direct from fuse14 to tachymrtric relay, I hope that’s right.

92B928B7-C510-46A4-9BD3-C5BA4A5D84F9.jpeg

DamirGTI

No , that's the ignition amp/module .

Tachy relay will be under the dash near the steering column or ECU .

D

SootySport

That answers my problem I think, thought the fuel pump comes on with just the ignition key turned on.  I’ll give it another go and crank it up. Thanks for the info Damir.

petert

Position varies with year/model. On very early models say <87, it’s in a black box on the chassis rail near the gearbox. Motronic DKZ models, don’t have one at all. Just a normal relay, controlled by the ecu, in the driver’s footwell (RHD).

SootySport

Mines a jetronic jan 1991 so should be in the lower dash.   Going to spin it up in the morning and see if 12v comes through it.

petert

Just follow the green wire.

SootySport

The relay works ok on cranking, spark plugs firing ok and 12v at the pump but pump not working. it was working on the bench when I cleaned it up, must of disturbed something when re-fitting it in the tank so it will have to come out again.   It reads 2 ohms across the terminals, do you think that’s too much of a short or about right?

SootySport

Well , the pump is cream crackered, double checked it out of the car and wired direct to a battery.   Going to have a go stripping it down and changing the pump itself. 
Do I need the 3 bar pump for the 1.6gti ? there’s so many versions out there and I’m not sure what pressure I need. 

welshpug

pumps are not rated by pressure but flow, the pressure is set by the presaure regulator on the fuel rail.

only two types of pump for a 205 gti, early black housing with a fly lead, and phase2 white housing where the plug is part of the top.

Edited by welshpug

SootySport

So is 3 bar enough? This is the one I have but looks to have been changed in the past as different wire connectors have been Crafted on the loom.

C46CA52A-3B00-448F-8F78-F84662E23BAC.jpeg

BE120BE0-207D-4EDA-AE83-A3DCBC95A683.jpeg

DamirGTI

Before definite write off  .. try to connect it on a 12v and hit/tap it with a rubber hammer , or tap it against the table wile connected on a 12v .. if you get lucky it might free off ..

Rollers on the bottom of the pump often stuck thus the pump stops spinning .. only ever so sightly thin film of fuel varnish on the roller cell mechanism and it locks/binds up . 

That's if the brushes and commutator are still good ..

D

welshpug

wiring looks original but the top of the pump has been messed with.

SootySport

Top of the pump is a moulded piece of PVC so can’t have been messed with.  I’ve tapped The pump many times on all sides and it just turns very slowly so well gummed up. 
Taken the pump assembly apart now and the part number is Bosch 0 580 464 993, might help others if they need to order one, there is a few available on EBay @ £86 ‘ish, I have ordered mine.

1DF715FA-3AED-461F-8FBC-EC88053BCDFF.jpeg

welshpug

definitely messed with, it should look like this with potted wires and a fly lead.

Screenshot_20200703-113930_Facebook.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Philpooma
On 6/30/2020 at 7:52 PM, DamirGTI said:

Just following on from this Damir, I was testing my fuel pump the other day, with the ignition turned on, does the pump not prime the fuel rail then? 
With the ignition on, I was getting no power at the pump, but is it that the engine needs to be turning over (300rpm) before the pump primes?

I have 13.5v going into the tachy relay, but nothing coming out.

Edited by Philpooma

Philpooma
2 hours ago, Philpooma said:

Hi have just properly read your article on the Tachy relay Damir and I understand now that it wont feed power to the fuel pump unless the engine is being turned over by the starter motor.

SootySport
14 hours ago, welshpug said:

definitely messed with, it should look like this with potted wires and a fly lead.

Screenshot_20200703-113930_Facebook.jpg

See what you mean now, although it’s just an uneccessary extra connection. My loom goes straight onto to the spade terminals.