• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SWINNEY

poor running

SWINNEY

Hi All

Ive had a quick look over a few old posts but still left scratching my head.

Ive not had the car running much lately and been out in it for only the second time this year and its running like a total dog.

Firstly its idle is ok for so long then starts hunting around, when it gets  to normal temperature as soon as you slow down for junctions its all over the place and if you don't give it a few revs is stalls.

Where do I start looking?

When I got the car it was a bit lumpy but that was fixed by replacing the air inlet pipe that had split but this is even worse I suspect I may have a couple of gremlins conspiring against me this time

Mark

SWINNEY

Has no one any ideas of can tell me where to start?

Tom Fenton

Try fresh fuel. Past that set up the throttle body. The Haynes manual covers what to do.

DamirGTI

Might be bad ECU temp. sensor by that description too ... if it's good from cold and during the warm up period , but starts to "misbehave" once fully warmed up on the operating temp. (mixture stays rich after warm up ..)

Also , try to play a bit with the idle mixture screw on the AFM  .. making sure first that there's no vacuum leaks as it'll just mask the problem .. Wind the AFM mixture screw down till it bottoms out , then unscrew it out counting 7-8 full turns and stop there , and start it up/see what happens .. if still no good or no difference play a bit with the screw few more turns in or out with the engine running . (out means leaning out the mixture , in enriching ... but effects only idle mixture)

D

Edited by DamirGTI