• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silvermetis

Speedo Drive Question

Silvermetis

I am planning to use 616024 3 way connector to provide the digital input for a speed sensitive power assisted steering conversion on a 1.6 205 gti.

I understand the sensor provides 8 pulses per revolution and according to SRDT (Baptiste) in his April 20 post that this is equivalent to 5 pulses per meter.

Can someone else please confirm is correct or the source of the information?

Assuming it is correct 5 pulses per meter is equivalent to approx 8000 pulses per mile my power unit requires approx 24000 pulses to correctly map the power assistance.

I will keep you posted how I will do this.

SweetBadger

Hi, I'm using the VSS to feed a speed signal to a DTA ECU.

I can confirm that the sensor provides 8 pulses per revolution and switches the signal pin to ground.

Pulses per meter will depend on the speedo drive gearing and the wheel size.

If it's a 1.6 gti box then the speedo drive has 17 teeth and the white worm drive that's in the housing has 19 teeth, so you'll get 8.94 pulses per wheel revolution. If you run 195 50 r15 tyres then they do 890 revolutions per mile, so you'll get 890 x 8.94 pulses per mile = 7958

You could double this quite easily by using a circuit that provides a pulse on a state change (assuming the on and off times from the VSS are the same), but getting to 24000 might be tricky.

Edited by SweetBadger
grammar change

Tom Fenton

I'd think about using an abs ring and sensor. An abs ring might be 36 teeth so 36 pulses per revolution.

petert
On 6/25/2020 at 5:38 PM, Silvermetis said:

Can someone else please confirm is correct or the source of the information?

I read it on the internet. On Aussiefrogs to be exact.

I'm doing exactly the same over the coming months, as my Mi16 pump has to make way for the turbo.