• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Roll Cage

205Rallee

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a full cage, either bolt in or weld in which can be fitted without cutting the dashboard. I want something more comprehensive than the Safety Devices c012 or one of the old bolt in OMP. Thanks David

allanallen

I think you’ll struggle to find a comprehensive off the shelf cage that doesn’t go through the dash. 

a comprehensive cage will tie in front and rear suspension pick ups and be braced to pillars, there’s no way you can do that properly without cutting the dash. 

why don’t you want to cut the dash?  

205Rallee

I want to keep the dash as it’s a lhd Euro Rallye and I also want the vents as it’s used a lot on the road for long trips. I also use it for speed events and you can’t run in Road going with the front triangulation.

allanallen

I see, I didn’t realise the euro rally had a special dash, could an option be to source another dash to cut and save your original?  

From memory the safety devices c44 passes through the dash and doesn’t interfere too much with the vents, I certainly never had an issue in my 205 with one fitted, there’s no front triangulation either, it does however fasten to

the rear beam mounts. 

Tom Fenton

I think it’s a case of not being able to make the omelette without breaking the eggs TBH! Maybe you could approach one of the independent roll cage manufacturers and get them to make something to your design.

205Rallee

Tom, yes you’re right, either do it properly or don’t bother. Just had a look at the works cars and they used a Matter cage which dodges most of the vents and fits tightly up against the A pillar. I’ve found their drawings so your suggestion of getting one custom built looks the best option. The advertised weight of some of the SD cages is very high, I think it might be worth going for T45 tubing to keep the weight down.

Biggles

Is this for MSA speed events (presumably yes given where you live) ?  A T45 cage needs to be approved.  If it's a custom design, MIRA will relieve you of a 4 figure sum for the approval analysis and that's after you provide them with the CAD model ...

205Rallee

Oh well that’s a non starter! Had a look on the Matter France website and they have a couple of designs which are certified.  Might just go with their modern version of the historic cage.