• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Wonky drivers window glass

Tom Fenton

So the drivers door glass in my rally car seems to sit wonky and despite some fettling I can't seem to sort it. Any ideas welcome.

When the glass is going up, the rear most edge leans forwards to the point it is not really in the fabric/rubber weatherstrip on the vertical rear edge of the door frame near the B post.

I've swapped the mech from manual to power, no difference. The runner channel at the base of the glass was well rotten so I've changed it for a better one. Again no improvement.

The runner guides front and rear only seem to have adjustment up and down on slotted bolt holes, no adjustment in and out towards the glass. The rear runner was slightly kinked in a couple of places, but I've now straightened that out.

The only thing I have noticed is that 2 of the mech mounting holes have worn slightly oval over time, this is allowing the mech to move which could be moving the glass out of "true". I'll probably weld a couple of repair washers to the door to correct this, although moving the mech to either end of the ovality in the mount holes doesn't make much odds.

Bit stumped really! When the window is fully up, it is in the rubber, but only just, you can see and feel the edge of the window glass with your fingernail, rather than it being sat right into the rubber seal strip as it should. Minor I know but the wind noise is annoying!

Any thoughts folks!

bacardincoke

My car was less it's electric windows when I got it, something I've since put back in.

Initially after doing it the passenger window was doing what you describle, but perhaps not just to the same extent.

Ultimately the culprit was the outer window scraper, which wasn't 100% straight.

The side of the glass pane nearest the A pillar was meeting more resistance which had the effect of causing it to tip towards the front of the car.

Bit if fettling evened things out and the glass was able to move at the same pace on both its left and right sides.

Tom Fenton

Thanks for the response chap.

Sadly not my issue as it’s the same regardless whether the scrapers (inner or outer) are fitted or not!

However after much mulling it over, I’m wondering if the slider piece on the bottom of the glass is fitted too far back, meaning there is a lot of weight of the glass cantilevered out in front of it, causing the glass to lean forward which is what is happening.

As per the first post I fitted a better condition slider, in the same place as the one removed, but that’s not to say the old one was in the correct place.

Tom Fenton

Fixed!!

So thanks to Speno who measured the position of the slider piece on the glass for me. It almost looks wrong as it sits a long way forward on the bottom of the glass! But it seems it’s quite important it is correct.

Mine was only about 1/2” too far back, but clearly this was enough to cause a problem. Removed the glass from the door, gently tapped the guide piece to the correct place, put it all back together and it now stays in the rubber guide all the way up. As it should.

Photos of the dims below (thanks Spen). Approx 5 inches from the front of the glass to the front of the steel piece, approx 15 inches rear. Mine was only 1/2” wrong, but that’s clearly enough.

B4945081-18DB-4A10-A95B-A9E6D6E61D37.jpeg

6DA96D91-4CB3-43DF-95E9-17DFF073687B.jpeg