• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TASOSCHATZ

New block for xu9

TASOSCHATZ

I have an XU9 J4 / D6C/L engine that I would like to use in my 306. I already had an answer from welshpug that it is possible without many difficulties presented. 

My problem is that in my country I will not pass mot because this engine was not factory offered. A solution is an xu7 block that has the accepted id code stamped.

I did read in older forum threads that it is possible, all aluminum xu blocks are the same etc. I also read different views that say otherwise, it is not that simple etc. 

Could someone that has re-blocked his xu9 , if anyone in here did it, with an xu7 block, provide some info? or even someone with a somewhat high degree of  certainty post his opinion? At the current time I am only interested in using the xu9 engine with its own gearbox, ecu, loom etc from a citroen bx.   No gti6 head, yet. I read that a member here had a thread in a french forum, but it is not online anymore.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Tom Fenton

The D6C is just a riveted on identity plate. Remove the plate and make a professional looking tag that has a code that relates to an XU7 engine, fasten this to your D6C, finished.

• Like 1

TASOSCHATZ

It is a solution I guess, but if I get caught, they will confiscate the car and I will face a court. With a correct block nobody will bother to look for anything else.

But thanks for the reply and idea. 

SRDT

You could take the XU9J4 apart then use a XU7JP4 block. Engine mount, timing covers, timing pulleys and idlers are not exactly the same but the main problem is that the XU7JP4 doesn't have oil squirters to cool the pistons.

TASOSCHATZ

Is this where an xu10 head comes in play? Btw thank you for your reply.

I tried to find a thread with oil squirters installation, but didn't manage anything. Anybody that has to suggest one?

petert

The oil squirters are nice but not essential. Many engines don't have them. You could take your block to a machine shop and get them to drill the holes, spot face etc.

Why do you want an XU10 head? And which one? There are three 4V heads.

TASOSCHATZ

For some reason I have got the impession that people that attach an xu10 head get away without oil squirters.

I tend to look for maximum cooling / lubrication since in my home town 115 farenait degrees are not unusual. 

petert

Sweet temps. Come over to Australia and see what hot is.

wicked
2 hours ago, TASOSCHATZ said:

For some reason I have got the impession that people that attach an xu10 head get away without oil squirters.

I tend to look for maximum cooling / lubrication since in my home town 115 farenait degrees are not unusual. 

I don't see a connection between the oil squirters and and head tbh, other than the late XU10 heads don't have the issue of Mi16 that doesn't drain the oil very well back to the sump.

The oil squirters are there to cool the pistons, which get their heat from the combustion, not from outdoor temperatures. Therefor you only find them on the 'high' powered version; more power = more heat.  

TASOSCHATZ
1 hour ago, wicked said:

The oil squirters are there to cool the pistons, which get their heat from the combustion, not from outdoor temperatures. Therefor you only find them on the 'high' powered version; more power = more heat.  

I grew up watching, back in 80's, cars at the side of the road due to heat issues, especially all the air colled vw of the era. This gave me the mentality for improved cooling, for eg in my 1.6 tu I instaled a twin fan and my radiator, after the first one started to leak, is a warmer climate specs.

Thanks for your input Rolf.

TASOSCHATZ
2 hours ago, petert said:

Sweet temps. Come over to Australia and see what hot is.

Although many greeks live there, I do not have any relatives. I should probably organise my life time vacations, a few months with a jeep and travelling wherever I can.