• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Arthur

Brake boosters servo’s

Arthur

Maybe the French just wanted to make the English push the pendel harder. 

• Haha 2

jackherer

I've never thought of a 205 GTI as over servo'd, especially compared to newer cars.

I was actually a bit worried about fitting the larger servo in case it took away from the brake pedal feel but actually it's hard to tell the difference between them.

Arthur

This is funny. The psa370 mounted. I didn’t find any real diff, apart from it being about 9,5 inch. The servo that is. And when I mounted it, the 4 studs in the car turned out to be m8 instead of m7. So unless you want to pay more then double for m7....

Arthur

Shoot. Selebrated too early. The angle between the four bolts at the back and the two at the front differs about 15 deg. The mc and reservoir will be tilted.   So I must either fit a 306 mc, re weld the studs, or take it apart and ajust the angle. Or spent another 100 EUR and order the correct one. Even when holding the two in your hands, the diff isn’t abvious.

td_w

But what's the correct model anyway, don't seem to be able to get it.

Sorry to hear!

td_w
On 5/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, Arthur said:

Shoot. Selebrated too early. The angle between the four bolts at the back and the two at the front differs about 15 deg. The mc and reservoir will be tilted.   So I must either fit a 306 mc, re weld the studs, or take it apart and ajust the angle. Or spent another 100 EUR and order the correct one. Even when holding the two in your hands, the diff isn’t abvious.

What did you do in the end @Arthur? My PSA370 arrives this week Guess I will return it!

welshpug

if the psa370 part is for a 306 then the studs should be the same as a 205 front and rear, only phase2 xsara 206 and phase2 406 have the studs at 45 degrees.

the servo is always M8 studs not M7  pedal box is M7 however.

Arthur

Nothing jet. But I think i will ajust the angle by taking it apart. Strange then, they advert. It as being 306

Edited by Arthur

td_w

Yes def says PSA370 is for 306 '93 onwards....

petert

My friend Adrian fitted a 405 m/c to his 205. Had to do a bit of body work, but an otherwise simple job.

Arthur

And so I have. Bit of a shame to pull a brand new part apart. At least we have learned another way (part) that doesn’t fit. Think that’s something. At fist glans I thought it was little off by 15 deg but it might have been more.

Edited by Arthur

td_w

Yes agreed, just need to work out what to do now though - the 'real' 1.9 GTI part is not in stock anywhere, even at 200+ euro.....

Arthur

Well it’s huge compared to the 8 inch. Dics is about 190 vesus 220 mm. Quere root tells me 150% of power of the 8 inch one. But it being close to 9’5 inch might mean lhd is a bit of a challenge. 

B2C0F6AC-D0FC-4724-8B55-28A11644C1A7.jpeg

td_w

Yeah looks tight, keep us informed what you do!

td_w

Whats the right part number for a RHD '89 205... is it PAS350? Thx!

Arthur

Well did a test ride now. It’s a significant difference. Didn’t hit my head, but I do need to train both legs now in the legpress, in the gym. 

Conclusion: psa 370 fits nicely after adjusting the angle in rhd. And for lhd after making more room, as well. It needs about 12 mm extra room (dome) though

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

td_w

Great to know, thanks Arthur!

joris_andriesse
On 5/30/2020 at 5:12 PM, Arthur said:

Shoot. Selebrated too early. The angle between the four bolts at the back and the two at the front differs about 15 deg. The mc and reservoir will be tilted.   So I must either fit a 306 mc, re weld the studs, or take it apart and ajust the angle. 

What is the problem with having it tilted and how did you exactly solve it?

I'm also looking for a new brake servo, but since the servo for the 205 is not available anymore...

Arthur

Well, it's almost 45 deg off, so the reservoir will be very tilted. I just took the brand new one apart and refitted it 45 deg different. 

Edited by Arthur

joris_andriesse
4 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Well, it's almost 45 deg off, 

Ahh that's a bit much indeed (instead of the 15 degrees off).
Can you perhaps give me a clear description what needs to be done? Mag in het Nederlands per mail/pb als dat het makkelijker maakt ;)

joris_andriesse

Choice of master brake cylinder, would that make any difference?
Starnge thing is that I see with both brake servo's that it can be used for the same car (Peugeot 306). How is that possible if these brake servo's aren't the same?

welshpug

unless its exactly 45 degrees off its probably just not assembled correctly,   the phase2 xsara, berlingo/partner and the later 406's had the mounting bolts for the master cylinder at the 45 degree angle rather than horizontal like the 205 and 306.

Arthur

Jeah, 45 it was. 

joris_andriesse

Brake booster: 4535 G9 (I used - PSA370 TRW)
Master brake cylinder: 4601 H9 ( I used - PMK526 TRW)

For the LHD a 1-on-1 fit.

923755988_nieuwerembekrachtigerenhrc.thumb.jpg.8baf24005c37c2fda63f5307579a3fc9.jpg

joris_andriesse

Quick question.
Now I have to reconnect the brakelines to the mbc, but I went from 2 connections to 4 connections (removed the abs). How do I connect the brake lines?
Seen from the booster:- 2x front brakelines, 2x rear brakelines or - crossed connection (1 front/rear and 1 front/rear)?