• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Steel Sump Sensor...

bacardincoke

The single spade connector sensor in the second image below is on the rear of my phase 1.5 1989 1.9 steel sump.

It's not connected, nor is there a loose or unidentified wire in the engine bay.

I've read references to there having been an oil level warning feature on very early phase 1 cars, but only for a short while before being discontinued.

I've also seen some adverts for new steel sumps that mention they come with a second threaded hole.

It may well not be the original sump on my car and another has been fitted in its place.

Sensors are cheap and one could simply be there to plug the redundant hole?

My pressure switch and sender are both present and working.

There's no evidence that an after market oil level gauge / warning has ever been fitted.

The last image is from the WWW and not mine, but shows the location of the unknown sensor.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

mmt

What’s your oil temp gauge saying? 

bacardincoke

Can't check for you at the moment and I don't recall what it showed previously. The car's without most of its coolant and oil pipes at the moment, being changed.... probably wouldn't have noticed the sensor had it not have been for that!

You think it may be temp. gauge related?

mmt

I Think it is the Oil temp sender unit. All My 205’s had a sender in that position. None of them with a spade connector though. 
On an XS it Would probably just turn on a warning light? Is there a gauge fitted? 

• Thanks 1

Daniel306

Probable that its a GTI sump and the sensor is just being used to plug the hole?

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

That's spot on thanks... Theres just the standard dash gauge. This gives me something to look into further, hoping the car'll be running again within the week!

DamirGTI

It is , the oil temp. sender for the dash gauge .. personally , i find it useful feature to have working oil temp. gauge .

The wire to the sender goes at the back of the engine , thus it commonly damaged by exhaust heat , driveshaft or broken off during engine removal in the past .

D

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Thanks all... Something else to sort out, but at least I now know where to start which is half the battle!

Cheers

Edited by bacardincoke

Tom Fenton

That’s the location for the oil temp sensor, but that doesn’t look anything like a oil temp sensor I’ve ever seen. They have a small stud and nut to take a ring terminal, not a spade, on every one I’ve ever seen.

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Found a few old posts... yet to read through them all, but these two stuck out as immediately useful -

oil-temperature-wiring

sensor-wiring

This extract's probably most relevant to my situation, I imagine I'm going to have to track down the wire that would have originally gone to the sensor and identify / replace the sensor - seems to be different thread sizes.

I also seem to have the 7 pin brown connector.

My wire colours for it are 90% the same as those described in the 2006 posts.

The oil temp sender however looks to be in the same position / colour no matter what, which is good!

This post might help & it has picture of the brown plug.

A breakdown of the wire numbers & what they go to is;

• pin1=Brown=7A- Alternator.
  • pin2=White=not readable.
  • pin3=White=30A- oil temp sender unit.
  • pin4=Grey=50A (I think).
  • pin5=Blue=46- starter solenoid.
  • pin6=Yellow=47- coolant temp switch.
  • pin7=Red=47A- coolant temp guage sender.

Edited by bacardincoke

bacardincoke

Just a quick update in case someone else finds themselves in the same position...

As suspected above by Damir the sender wire was indeed found to be cropped off and taped up to the loom,... you'd not have known if you weren't aware and looking for it. Life would be so much easier without bodgers.

I was lucky that it had been done far enough away from the brown multi-connector that I was able to easily attach a new length of wire.

That's been routed around the back of the block via the bulk head, then down to the sump so as to keep it safe.

In my case the above pin list is correct and it was the white wire, #3.

It leaves the brown plug with all the others before splitting off soon after along with wires #6 (yellow) and #7 (red) that are for the coolant temperature switch and sender at the back of the block.

The gauge works insofar as it swings fully around when earthed but as also mentioned above the sensor itself isn't an oil temperature one so we'll have to wait to that's replaced to confirm all's well.

Tom Fenton

The standard route is not via the bulkhead. It runs down the back of the block and behind the lower engine mount bracket. Run it in some small bore convoluted sleeving for a neat job.

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Probably overkill but wanted to keep it well out of harms way after all the grief the missing original caused. Good call on the sleeving, sods law but I'd previously tidied up all the wiring and looking at a new loose one would annoy me!

bacardincoke

Found one or two sensors listed on eBay (and others of the same make / part no. elsewhere ) however when contacted to double check the sellers say they're not compatible... if someone has a link to a known to be correct oil temp. sensor it'd be appreciated, thanks.

welshpug

what have you found listed?

DamirGTI

As above , should be 0242 50 16dia. , later ones where 0242 81 14dia. .

Presumably it's the first 16dia. , then of the aftermarket ones here's a few :

FAE 30290

Vernet 2500 (or WS2500)

Facet 7.3099

D

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Great, thanks all... it was the Facet 7.3099 that popped up most often when looking on-line and then changed to not compatible when queried.

I'd the same difficulties trying to get the correct thermo-switch and thermostat, one eBay seller'd say it was fine and another would say not... starting to build up a collection of wrong bits, so thought I'd ask here to be sure of the correct one. 

Thanks again.

Edited by bacardincoke

DamirGTI

Better switch to some quality online car part store which has it's own comprehensive browsing and ordering parts catalogue than buying from ebay .

That'll minimize parts fitment confusion , getting fake knock off parts , will be able to return or exchange parts easily , you choose what/which part brand you fancy from the catalogue list , get good price discount (the more you buy , the bigger discount you'll get) , free shipment for ordered parts etc. ..

In some of them you'll even get access to all the OEM car manufactures catalogues/diagrams free of charge .

Finding good parts supplier will be pretty much like you're best friend !

D

• Like 1

welshpug

I never bother asking ebay sellers if stuff is compatible or not, do your own legwork and confirm part numbers, then if stuff is listed properly you'll be fine.

same goes for all the online retailers, they don't really minimise parts fitment by much at all, especially on older vehicles, add into the mix that some sites don't have option for lhd/rhd filtering, but do list both parts often if there is a difference!

if you did find that facet which matches Damir's number then I;d just buy that, regardless if the seller reckoned it didn't fit, the smaller thread for the later part number is for alloy sump cars.

• Like 1

bacardincoke

Small update in case you're trying to fix the same thing I was...

Got the Facet 7.3099 sensor and can confirm it's a perfect fit plus works as it should.

The unknown sensor plugging the hole had no markings on it whatsoever and appears to be new so have to assume it was just there to fill the hole.

I'm sure the gauge readings should be taken with a pince of salt, but looks like the engine's running very well... there was always the worry someone was trying to hide something by disconnecting it.

jj007205

Does anyone know the part number for a later 1990 gti?

jj007205

As Damir above, is it  024281 ? Whats the cutoff point for the 'later' cars? or is the sump type the determinant factor?

welshpug

sump material.

• Thanks 1