• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Door check repair...

bacardincoke

The drivers door on my '89 phase 1.5 has a double click when opened or closed.

It's the door check, specifically that part which anchors it to the A pillar.

I've already replaced the door strap and the pin that holds it to the anchor on the A pillar to rule them out and there's only a minimal difference.

The hole in the anchor is visibly worn and no longer circular causing the pin to jump and click when it reaches a certain point.

From what I can see the anchor isn't easily accessible, and even it were it's not a removable part in any case?

There's write ups on welding up the hole and re-drilling, however that's something I want to keep as a last resort.

I was thinking if the hole were drilled out further to restore it to circular again (along with the check strap presumably) and a larger pin used it may have the same outcome?

Has anyone done this?

If so obviously the hole you were fixing may not be near the size of the hole I'm fixing, but it'd be a starting point to know  what sized hole / pin you used rather than my trying to match up untried bits from new?

I'd imagine there's not a lot of room for error because of the small size of the parts and it'd need to be done right first time.

Cheers...

check strap.jpg

Tom Fenton

How do you plan to re drill the hole, look how close to the a pillar it is, no room to get a drill Chuck in and drill the hole square.

bacardincoke

I've an angled adapter... it's quite slim and as luck would have it the drill bit should sit exactly center of the existing hole.

The paint will need some protection, tape or the like but potentially it's doable... worth investigating, hence the post.

drill adapter.jpg

Ozymandis

Feel free to stick the boot in im a bit pissed, are they not supposed to do just that "two clicks"?

Funnily enough a i swapped a door yesterday and the arm has two distinct shaped areas the half and fully open posistions.

i dont see the problem.

Tom Fenton

They do stop in two places. But when the pin or holes are worn out they make a horrid loud "CLACK CLACK" noise as they do so as the spring loaded bit snatches at the pin. When the check straps are good and the pins good they work silently.

bacardincoke

Tom... If the cause is as I think, one, other or both of the holes in the anchor point becoming non-circular you could turn your fabrication / engineering skills to making a fix?

Sounds like a common problem, might be viable to make a run.

Just off the cuff... would a collar over the existing point, secured to it by the original holes, but with an additional hole of its own for a pin / bolt etc. be viable?

Would the swing of the arc as the door opens and closes still work, there's a lot of slack in the existing set up?

The movement in the original anchor holes would need to be easily addressed somehow, no point the new pin / bold or whatever clicking also.

An insert?  Is there some material  that can deform slightly to the shape of the old hole when compressed under tightening, but be strong enough not to wear?

Just ideas!

Edited by bacardincoke

welshpug

I dont think you'll want to do that, high probability of the door hitting stuff.

bacardincoke

Well... fixed it, but not quite as planned. If you're suffering the double clack might be worth looking into.

The hole(s) in the 'A' pillar anchor bracket I drilled out to 8mm. using the angled bit holder pictured above... worked a treat.

The check strap was easier to work on by taking it off, as it seems to be made from a noticibly tougher grade steel.

The black threaded screw/bolt pictured I already had and as it's just shy of 8mm dia. a perfect fit.

0.5mm steel shim washers x 4 between each moving surface with a nylock nut and plastic hex cap to hide it.

As luck would again have it the black screw / bolt protruded just enough to secure it, but not so much it wasn't covered by the cap. Looks tidy enough, just not as Peugeot intended but after 6 weeks of use still showing no signs of wearing / needing adjustment and much preferable to how it was before.

The screw / bolt seem to be of a milder steel than the arm of the door check, if anything's going to wear it'll be it and not the new holes... so a spare screw / bolt should fix it again if ever needed.

check.jpg

check1.jpg

Leslie green

Nice work and the clack clack sound  sure is annoying. 

Tom Fenton

Nice job. Only thing I would suggest is sort a bolt with a plain shank for the strap to work against.