• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ashpug205

205 GTI- TU5JP4S (C2 VTS) Swap

Ashpug205

Hi all!

I am currently in the process of swapping a C2 VTS engine into my 205 GTI. I have found a great deal of info on here already, but I have a couple of questions specific to this engine.

i am going to be swapping the BSI etc into the 205 to do away with the tired old fuse box- I am not sure if the signals will work with the 205 dash (Temp, fuel etc) or if I will need to do away with it and get a set of gauges and make a custom panel. Speedo wise I will be fitting a GPS one anyway as the C2’s comes from the ABS.

fuel pump wise, the C2 engine doesn’t have a return to the tank, would I be able to swap the pump/sender out with the GTI one? (Obvs wiring Loom from the C2 I plan to use anyway) I am going to be using the DBW throttle from the C2, I’m not sure if this effects how the fuel pressure is regulated by the ECU?

any tips appreciated if you have done a similar swap, I know there may be easier ways to do things ie cable throttle but I want to modernise as much as I can electrics wise. 

cams wise- I used to have catcams 708s in a TU5J4 engined 106, But these can’t be used in the JP4 due to the higher comp ratio effecting piston clearance. However with stronger valve springs in the C2 VTS engine, what’s the most aggressive cams I can go for with stock pistons and stock (mapped) ECU? Obviously different tuners give different advise biased on the brand of cam they supply!

will post some photos when I make some progress- some of you may recognise the car from a very long time (10 yrs maybe?) ago, I followed a build thread for years before the chap moved away and the car went for sale

xstian

No advise I'm afraid, but I'm interested in the swap. I've been thinking about putting a TU engine in, to replace the diesel in mine.

A couple of weeks back someone on ebay had an engine mount, modified subframe and modified downpipe for just this conversion. I tried to buy it myself, but the guy didn't seem very happy about posting it. It never sold twice at £100.

welshpug

my tip would be to rebuild an xu5, bump the compression, mild cam, mappable ecu.

lighter than a tu5, far less messing with wiring, stronger gearbox by far.

higher compression ratio does not mean a lower valve clearance! i have 2.5mm clearance and 12-1!

Ashpug205

9CA49466-0AF3-4A49-B13E-BDD40A6F29B5.jpeg

Arthur

Hi. I have the same engine in my 205. Don’t understand you fuelpump question. Does the c2 have a pump under the bunnet without return? Depending on what driveshafts you have now, be4r gearbox drops right in. I used the long 205 tu engine mount and cut a corner out for the valve cover. 

Edited by Arthur

welshpug

C2 has a dead head system, pump is in the usual place in the tank and has a regulator and a short return loop hence only one line to the engine bay.

Arthur

Oké.

Well since mine is a carb model originally, I have a non fuelpump tank. I have an pump under the bonnet and made an return line. I have a fuel rail from a tu with 84mm cylinder offset (do not even know which one) and 3 bar regulator, but I have an aftermarket ECU. As long as the fuel pressure in the rail is the same as the ecu is programmed for, it should not make a difference where the pump is imo. But an under the bonnet pump does require a return, for fuel cooling issues (imo) and you must use a pump that can draw some air and 1/2 a meter pressure, as most pumps do nothing at all when they are not submerged in fuel. 

I used underneath as engine mounts. I did have to cut both the mount and the cam cover though. I thought about modding the C2 mount, but didn't feel like it. Kept an picture of both fitted though. Mind when you should go for BE4r gearbox (which most would recommend), you also must have an tu-be driveshaft-mount that's in 1st picture. If you have an org. gti, your drive shafts fit BE already and for a racer an BE4r (20DM12) would also have far better final drive (4,529). 

This

23380043_1500956473316807_21229737680476

an this (longer one) 

15319089_1169462509799540_91755507396393

15284955_1169462536466204_41976474246230

Edited by Arthur