• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

karabas

Engine loom help, wire#46 / #46C

karabas

Hi, I'm trying to find a problem on my Phase 2 Jectronic car thus I took out the engine loom. 
Found these wrong connections;
46C --> SAD ( I found an unattached earth and changed with 46C )
46 --> Alternator (there is an additional cable between ign switch and starter, I think this is to cure cranking)
I know #46 is for starter (when I pull out the cable, battery light on)

I'm looking at Haynes diagrams to find what is 46C but no clue.
I have a spare loom but its the same, #46C sitting in the loom connected nowhere. 

-What is thin #46C ?
-If I pull thick #46 cable and connect to starter, will battery light off? Should I connect something inplace of it?

many thanks.

46ABC.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

opticaltrigger

Hi Hakan,

What was the original problem that you were trying to find ?

O.T.

Edited by opticaltrigger

karabas

Hi Opticaltrigger, 
I have an awkward problem. Engine runs normal when its cold. After 2-3 mins it's starting to run like 3 cylinder. It can be driven only betwen 3000rpm +-200 (normal engine sound I hear) . Then after , Although the ECU Temp sensor mounted in place, I've connected the 2nd ECU Temp and hanged it on bulkhead. With this way car runs&revs normal. But in long drives when engine compartment get hot, same symptoms. I thought there would be engine loom problem due to I overhauled it.
Briefly, injection is changing badly with the engine heat.

DamirGTI

Wire 46C goes onto the SAD ... i think it's 12V (or near battery voltage) live with the ignition ON .

Could be mixed up ECU temp. sensor and SAD connector , so mixed up/connected this two other way round ... check as they're the same 2pin connectors  , only different color connector .

D

Screenshot from 2020-05-10 13-52-39.png

karabas

Hi Damir,
The diagram you shared is for XU9J1/Z/L I think. Mine is XU9JA w/o cat.
So as far as I understand 46C is not used on my engine type.
I'm checking all connectors wire to wire couldn't find any sensible reason.
I can see ECU reads ohm from Temp sensor by pin 10 but I can't understand changing what or why on system. If you can tell me ECU triggers which part regarding to engine temperature, I can chahge it in order to find if its faulty.

DamirGTI

Yes it's the XU9J diagram ... and it's the only one where i actually found wire No. 46C .

Sorry (not sure if i understand the question) , you wish to know which ECU pins are for the temp. sensor ?

Now thinking a little bit about this ... heat + misfiring , this sounds to me like you're having ignition problem - kinda characteristic for the faulty ignition module , or perhaps the coil too . 

Try with an known good spare ignition module (don't forget the thermal paste !) , and see what happens ..

D

• Thanks 1

karabas
39 minutes ago, DamirGTI said:

Now thinking a little bit about this ... heat + misfiring , this sounds to me like you're having ignition problem - kinda characteristic for the faulty ignition module , or perhaps the coil too . 

Try with an known good spare ignition module (don't forget the thermal paste !) , and see what happens ..

D

This is my main problem. The loom is on my table now. I need to wrap it and put back. I have a spare ign amp. I will do it. Thank you Damir.

By the way I read what Opticaltrigger wrote about ignition system. 

DamirGTI

Pretty much all the ignition components tends to be commonly problematic after warm up period , warm/hot engine and when under load .

Heat vibration and moisture are three things which ignition system simply doesn't like .

Try to test replace one by one (not all at once) :

- ignition module

- coil (if you have later square inlet manifold mounted coil .. they're prone to failure)

- spark plugs ..

If you can isolate one particular cylinder which is faulty (misfires) after the engine warms up , swap the spark plug from that to one of the other working cylinders .. and see if the problem moves by doing that on another cylinder .. do/try the same with the injectors , mark position then swap places in between the cylinders , and see what happens .

I had on a few occasions spark plug failing creating misfire , always and only when hot (starts fine from cold , after warm up period shuts down one cylinder) .. and mostly just one spark plug out of 4 which somehow "craps out" internally .

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

karabas

I found an untouched engine bay loom and I saw #46C is connected to SAD (as Damir said). Regarding to Haynes (XU9JA engine) SAD earthed with #M24 instead of blue #46C . This meant to me that Haynes is not 100% correct.
Then I changed SAD wiring again. I cut the additional wiring from ignition key to starter and took it out.
Today I put back wiring and now engine cranking with its original wiring.
But this time no battery charging with charging light on the panel. I checked the battery with a multimeter while engine running.
This weekend I will search posts for alternator wiring to find what to check.
Here in Turkey every weekends we have lockdown and last week 4 days lockdown during Ramadan Bayram thus I can't find enough time to work on car.

Many Thanks

karabas

All problems sorted out.
- I learned that the alternator is not a self excited one. When the other phase connected to + all done.
- Found that fuel pressure was under 2 bars then fuel filter and pump changed.
A few months ago fuel pump was changed with a brand new one so I didn't give any chance to fuel pressure.

Thanks a lot for helping me.